tonka's 16 gallon bow front nano reef

I've been meaning to start a thread documenting my reef tank as well as some of the up coming projects.

The tank is a 16 gallon bow front - SPS and clam dominated and has been running for a little over a year now.

Specs are as follows:

20lbs liverock

Remora Pro skimmer with mj1200

250HQI 14K (phoenix) in Reef Optix 3 reflector with Blue Wave ballast

Seo 620 and Rio 90 for circulation

Future plans:

stand/canopy (in progress)

sump/overflow

chiller

controller

upgraded circulation

ATO

Unfortunately, I'm at work and they block photobucket, so tank shots will have to wait till this weekend. But, in the meantime, I'll get the plans for the stand uploaded and posted.

stay tuned and enjoy :cheers:

Matt

here's what I have for the final plans for the stand - 36" tall, 20" wide and 15" deep.

left/front

med_gallery_358_399_119475.jpg

right/front

med_gallery_358_399_10274.jpg

back

med_gallery_358_399_49659.jpg

Is there any reason you are building a frame stand rather than simply building it entirely out of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood?

Is this tank gonna be on carpet? the reason I ask is because my stand is almost the same size except shorter and I have a sump and even with that it is a little unsturdy on the carpet in my room. Just a thought

Is there any reason you are building a frame stand rather than simply building it entirely out of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood?

I wanted an open design so later on I could add a sump and other equipment and be able to get to it easily. I will be building some shaker style panels that will match the kitchen cabinets that are going to be mounted on the stand to close everything off and make it look clean.

Is this tank gonna be on carpet? the reason I ask is because my stand is almost the same size except shorter and I have a sump and even with that it is a little unsturdy on the carpet in my room. Just a thought

The tank is going on my pergo living room floor, but at a later date it's definitely possible that it will be on carpet. I do plan on installing some feet that will allow me to adjust as needed.

What is it about your stand that makes it unsturdy?

also, here is a full tank shot from October. More pics of stand and canopy progress as well as updated tank shots will be posted later today.

DSC02781.jpg

That's some serious lighting for that little tank. Awesome!

How are you introducing calcium/alkalinity?

Garrett.

It is, but short of a few corals that have given me some problems, everything seems to be doing good.

I dose B-Ionic 2 part and MG to keep levels where they need to be.

here are some pics of the stand so far -

front:

med_gallery_358_399_479945.jpg

side:

gallery_358_399_253898.jpg

and back:

gallery_358_399_1474896.jpg

I should have the sanding and final details finished up this week weather permitting.

Also got a good start on the canopy.

everything cut, squared, pocket holes drilled:

gallery_358_399_660842.jpg

and loosely together while I get everything squared up:

gallery_358_399_830205.jpg

and in the next day or so, this should be finished up, the VHO end caps mounted and I should have some way to mount the pendant. This too is assuming the weather cooperates.

Matt, keep up the good work. It's definitely looking good.

I can't wait to get my tank up so you can utilize your skills as a craftsman to help me construct a stand.

Matt, keep up the good work. It's definitely looking good.

I can't wait to get my tank up so you can utilize your skills as a craftsman to help me construct a stand.

Dang Matt mad skills with wood!! looking good my friend!

thanks guys!

we should be able to do the same for yours.

Josh, you ever get those plans drawn up? I've got a few ideas how we could do this too.

thanks guys!

we should be able to do the same for yours.

Josh, you ever get those plans drawn up? I've got a few ideas how we could do this too.

Yeah I something drawn on paper... how do you feel about stick figures? :drink:

I'm infantry, I'm used to playing with sticks to build models

:lol:

yes yes, I forgot, we should be G2G then....

That stand looks like it will be quite the piece of work. I love watching people who know what they're doing.

That stand looks like it will be quite the piece of work. I love watching people who know what they're doing.

thanks, I'm really hoping it turns out nice. However, I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing - I know enough to be dangerous, but learning as I go.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got one small update between work and the projects the wife wants done:

DSC03502.jpg

everything put together, squared, sanded smooth and ready for coating. Tomorrow I'm dropping it off to be sprayed with Line-X - I should have it back early next week.

just got back from picking up the stand and canopy and I couldn't be happier with the results :bb: turned out better than I thought it would!

DSC03504.jpg

DSC03505.jpg

DSC03506.jpg

The pictures aren't the best - I'm not much of a photographer.

Tomorrow I'll probably get the stand in place and start getting ready to move the tank. Will also try to get the lights hooked up in the canopy. Still need to finish plans for the canopy bracket, but that shouldn't take too long.

looking good my friend... great progress so far can't wait to see the stand with the canopy on top of it...

• 3 weeks later...

not much in the way of updates. I've been looking for a welder and think I may have found one. He has my plans and I hope to hear something from him in the next day or so. Once I get this canopy bracket made, I will be able to move the tank to it's new location.

Also, where the tank is going, I didn't have any power - I was having a problem with the GFIs - they kept tripping. Last night I was able to get that all worked out so now when the tank is moved over, I'll at least have power.

Started taking measurements for the sump and began drawing out plans. Once I have the basic design together, I'll do something in sketch up and post them up - look for something later this week, early next week.

Oh yeah, got my DC8 this week - hooked up and running - pretty nice!

• 2 weeks later...

ALRIGHT UPDATES :clap: :clap: :clap:

a local guy from one of the truck forums offered to help me with the welding. $50 in 40' of square tubing and a 12 pack of budweiser, 2 hrs and this is the result:

DSC03532.jpg

then today, I got the lower bracket mounted to the stand:

DSC03533.jpg

from the back:

DSC03534.jpg

and finally the light canopy attached and installed above the stand:

DSC03535.jpg

and here's everything from behind:

DSC03536.jpg

I should have both the VHOs and the MH hooked up and running later tonight. I need to drill some height adjusting holes, pull it all apart and hopefully the bracket goes to powder coating NLT Monday

Reef Optix 3 and 2x18" VHO actinic:

DSC03537.jpg

DSC03538.jpg

DSC03539.jpg

just the actinics:

DSC03540.jpg

both MH and VHOs (an old 10K bulb - I'll be keeping my 14K that I'm running now)

DSC03541.jpg

just need to drill the adjustment holes - that'll probably happen tomorrow - It's Miller time now :drink:

dude thats awesome work... crazy creativity to draw up that design, glad its all going according to plan...