Disease/Parasite Forum

newfish

I was wondering if there was any way to get a Parsite/Disease/Bad stuff forum opened up. This could be used as a central location for people to post questions about strange things in their tanks that may be bad and how to fix them. Things like Bristle worms, Different algaes, Ich, Fin Rot, ETC. Just thought I would see what everyone else thought and if there was enought interest maybe the Officers could get it opened up.

Thanks

Josh

i think it would be a good idea especially with all of the recent fish illnesses that have happened around the club.

Personal hat on here, not official club response..

Personally, I feel that it would be difficult (& too time comsuming) to compile a good enough database of the correct info. There is plenty of mis-information out there, snake oils, and miracle cures. I think I would rather refer someone to Fenner's database on Wet Web Media, where it as already cataloged, and mis-ID's are less likely to occur. Their experience vastly outweigh almost all here. Though not a bad idea to list personal experiences here, I am afraid someone might be led astray, and be more of a hindrance, if someone reads one "fix" and runs with it. "Fixes' are as debated as dsb vs. bb...

Again, my personal opinion here.

I like the idea more for getting y'all's opinions rather than posting information, though information is good, too. I'd love to separate out into a dedicated forum the illness posts! :clap: Just mho.

I also think that would be great.....today I was looking at some tanks at a local retailer and there were these small white critters walking around. They had 6 to 8 legs with antennas. The biggest were no longer than 1/16th" ???????

I have reservations about the idea and agree with Doug. People tend to get more attention for serious issues on the general boards because a lot of people who miht have something to say, wouldn't specifically look at a disease board regularly when it's not an issue tehy have of their own.

side note: it would be nice to have another speaker on fish diseases like we did for the symposium last summer

side note: it would be nice to have another speaker on fish diseases like we did for the symposium last summer

:) I have to work out the details with other officers - but Kevin Kohen (Live Aquaria) said he was willing to come down and speak to the club. He gave a great talk on fish and coral disease at ncpars meeting.

Also with personal hat on

Reef Central Fish Disease forum

Marine Depot Diseash/health forum

Wetwebmedial disease pages

After hearing Kevin Kohen of Liveaquaria talk at NCPARS meeting, fish disease needs to be ID correctly or you can do more harm than good with some treatments.

Thanks for the links

I am with Doug on this one. As much as I respect the knowledge and experience of WAMAS members, diseases are just plain hard. Not only accurately describing the symptoms and finding any causative agents/pathogens/etc, but also coming up with treatment protocols. Plus there is a vast difference between diseases of fish, corals, other inverts etc.

Just my two pfennigs.

-R