New To This

Clyde

I have cycled my ten gallon tank and have added snails and will add fish soon. What would be my best bet for easy to care for corals? I have Coral Life T5 dual light. 15# live rock and about 2-3" of live sand. I will be adding a Occelaris Clown and Clown Goby with a Pistal shrimp. :clap:

any lps or softy are your best bets. my suggestion is to maybe add some zoos and maybe some colt just to get your feet wet.

GOOD LUCK!!

Shrooms are pretty too. In a ten gallon tank, you should try to keep the total adult fish length to 2". So one clown fish or one small goby would be about the limit that you'd want in that tank. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time keeping the chemistry (nitrates in particular) in a good state.

Shrooms are pretty too. In a ten gallon tank, you should try to keep the total adult fish length to 2". So one clown fish or one small goby would be about the limit that you'd want in that tank. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time keeping the chemistry (nitrates in particular) in a good state.

I kinda disagree. It is tough on a 10g, but mostly because of the stress on the fish of being in such a small environment. That is why I would only do a few small fish (a pair of small clowns/cardinals and a small goby would be fine IMO). Nitrates would be easy to keep in check... just do regular 100% water changes. FWIW I don't have a nano... this is what I would do if I did have a nano though.

Garrett.

I would first put your location and i'm sure you will be able to find people in your area to get you started with some easy to care for corals

If you are near by Reston, I can probably get you one of the mushrooms that Ybenormal gave me, They have been really hardy and are looking really good. Let me know.

Thanks

Josh

I kinda disagree. It is tough on a 10g, but mostly because of the stress on the fish of being in such a small environment. That is why I would only do a few small fish (a pair of small clowns/cardinals and a small goby would be fine IMO). Nitrates would be easy to keep in check... just do regular 100% water changes. FWIW I don't have a nano... this is what I would do if I did have a nano though.

Garrett.

100% water change :why:

Maybe I am just not up to speed but dont you want to avoid removing all of your nicely cycled water from your aquarium. Frequent partial water changes (50% at the most) would probably be more beneficial to the system and keeping it stable. I could be wrong however.

As for corals, I would get started with zoos and/or mushrooms. I am very proud of you and your progress buddy. Great job and keep it up.

Edited by papabear24

100% water change :why:

Maybe I am just not up to speed but dont you want to avoid removing all of your nicely cycled water from your aquarium. Frequent partial water changes (50% at the most) would probably be more beneficial to the system and keeping it stable. I could be wrong however.

As for corals, I would get started with zoos and/or mushrooms. I am very proud of you and your progress buddy. Great job and keep it up.

Anthony Calfo can state it much more clearly than I ever could: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/watchgantart.htm

A few things:

It is easier to maintain stability if the water is constantly being changed out (daily would be better, constantly would be best... I think it's being done somewhere). Of course very few hobbyists are able to replicate the reef this way, though some do live on the oceans and are able to pump in sea water.

Less frequent water changes with lower % of tank volume = more polution left behind.

You don't have to worry about adding supplements as long as the water you are replacing is mixed to the levels you want.

And to me the real kicker is if you can't match up batch after batch of newly mixed water then you have no business keeping a nano in the first place.

G.

Wow. Pretty harsh on that last sentence gastone, but understandable.

Clyde, I have a BioCube 8 and it's doing great (better than my cycling 90g right now). :) I keep things to a minimum in there and make sure that I change out about .5 gallon to a gallon of water a week and adding a few cups due to evaporation. The tank has been steady now for 5 months and I'm happy with it (even though my wife wants it out now). Anyways, good luck, but remember to keep on check on your levels so buy your test kits ASAP if you don't have them already. One thing I can say, (finger crossed), I never had problems with algae. Only issue I have is temp which can go from 78-83 since it's sitting in the dining room next to the kitchen (ugh). But this hasn't caused too many issues yet.

Good luck and keep it simple. Like everyone said, softies and LPS typically (I wouldn't even try SPS), but I'll leave that up to you if you want to experiment.

Lots of resources are also up on http://www.nano-reef.com if you want to see a lot of nano tanks.

Wow. Pretty harsh on that last sentence gastone, but understandable.

Clyde, I have a BioCube 8 and it's doing great (better than my cycling 90g right now). :) I keep things to a minimum in there and make sure that I change out about .5 gallon to a gallon of water a week and adding a few cups due to evaporation. The tank has been steady now for 5 months and I'm happy with it (even though my wife wants it out now). Anyways, good luck, but remember to keep on check on your levels so buy your test kits ASAP if you don't have them already. One thing I can say, (finger crossed), I never had problems with algae. Only issue I have is temp which can go from 78-83 since it's sitting in the dining room next to the kitchen (ugh). But this hasn't caused too many issues yet.

Good luck and keep it simple. Like everyone said, softies and LPS typically (I wouldn't even try SPS), but I'll leave that up to you if you want to experiment.

Lots of resources are also up on http://www.nano-reef.com if you want to see a lot of nano tanks.

It's just an opinion from a guy sitting behind a computer. Nothing more.

I don't mean to offend.

G.

Anthony Calfo can state it much more clearly than I ever could: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/watchgantart.htm

A few things:

It is easier to maintain stability if the water is constantly being changed out (daily would be better, constantly would be best... I think it's being done somewhere). Of course very few hobbyists are able to replicate the reef this way, though some do live on the oceans and are able to pump in sea water.

Less frequent water changes with lower % of tank volume = more polution left behind.

You don't have to worry about adding supplements as long as the water you are replacing is mixed to the levels you want.

And to me the real kicker is if you can't match up batch after batch of newly mixed water then you have no business keeping a nano in the first place.

G.

OUCH!!!! I think we might need to dial it down a couple thousand RPM on that last line there. :blast: :bounce: We don't want the new guy scared of before he even gets settled in. Who said anything about not making salt water and what got you so ramped up dude? We are supposed to be a supportive, friendly and helpfull society :cheers: . I would have to say that the point you made goes for all reefkeepers and not just nano's.

Edited by papabear24

I do enjoy all this FUN!! Every hobby, and I have a few expensive ones, has guidelines. None of which always apply!I am running a good filter, lots of water flow and check all my numbers ( along with my daughter). If I only have to do .5 -2 gallon water change a week that is what I'll do. If I have to do 100% to keep my numbers good then that is what I will do. Just like everything, it is what gets the job done right. So there BLA. I will always take advice from anyone and use when needed!

Thanx Again!!! :cheers:

Clyde,

I think some mushrooms, xenia, and maybe some zoanthids would be good to start. They can all be attractive and quite hardy. Mushrooms especially are almost indestructable and great started corals IMO. Xenia can be a bit finicky, doing well in many systems while totally perishing in other well established healthy systems. But it grows so fast that many people give it away or throw it away. Zoanthids are very nice in a nano tank, though I believe them to be more of an intermediate coral.

I would avoid kenya tree and/or capnella. Great starter coral but can drop buds and take over a tank, though should be manageable in a nano (I've seen a 120g tank with at least 2-300 buds of capnella... not a pretty site).

If you join WAMAS as a paying member you'll have access to the sell/trade forums where many corals are moved between members.

Garrett.