Caulerpa - Infestation and Proper Disposal

Black Mammoth

So I decided to cruise over to ReefCentral and I noticed an interesting ad banner. Some of you may have already seen or heard about this. It was news to me and I thought I would pass it along. Anyway, it was a link to SCCAT (Southern California Caulerpa Action Team. It was discussing how it is really infesting the waters and how it is a big problem. They have already banned 9 species. I was thinking that since we are so close to the ocean that we might want to be careful as well. It's better to be safe than sorry later. Anyway, here is the link to the website.

SCCAT - The Caulerpa Problem

The video on the website is pretty interesting, but I only watched a little.

Hmmm.... a Californian with an agenda... whodah thunk it?

Garrett.

Yeah; almost as annoying as negative knee-jerk responses to anyone who tries to take on any environmental issue.

Yeah; almost as annoying as negative knee-jerk responses to anyone who tries to take on any environmental issue.

Or someone responding to that reaction for that matter.

G.

That caulerpa thing has been an issue for a many years. Don't put things into nature in places nature didn't already have them.

Jokes about Californian's aside, I do believe aquarists and anyone else who deals with the importation of non-native animals and plants has a responsibility to protect the environment from the irresponsible release of those species. We've seen it with snakeheads in the freshwater community, which has led to many states banning all species regardless of the danger they present. Plants can be no less devestating to a native ecosystem. It's an important note and one more example of how irresponsible disposal of unwanted species or waste can have devestating consequences.

Its not just caulerpa in Cali, or Snakeheads in the potomac. There are numerous cases of aquarist introduced invasive species. We do need to be careful, and dispose of plants, animals and wastes properly.

Interesting side note. Caulerpa Taxifolia is a federal noxious weed. That means :

Short Version: don't sell it, don't give it away, by all means do not transport across state lines. My recommendation would be that if you have it, try to get rid of it. Safely.

I have SOME kinds of caulerpa... I destroyed all of my grape caulerpa, because it was invasive, even in a refugium - it was over-running all of the other macro's. I now have one with large, fern-like leaves, and one with small, almost rectangular leaves. The large-leafed one needs pruning quite often - but it isn't as bad as the grape. I am suprised how fast the Gracillaria grows... for some reason, I thought it was uncommon. It is listed as a 'treat' for tangs. My two tangs ignore it completely in favor of nori.

bob

The "Mediterranean clone" of Caulerpa taxifolia is listed as a federal obnoxious weed.

I'm pretty sure mine didn't come from the Mediterranean!

Does anyone know how to tell the "Mediterrean clone" from regular old C. taxifolia?

-R

Actually... since we're talking about this... Obviously if a fish is dead, you throw it away and if it's alive you either find another responsible aquarist to take care of it or give it to an LFS. But... what is the proper way to dispose of plants? For something like Caulerpa, it would seem tossing it in the garbage disposal is not a good idea. Just put it in a landfill? Compost heap?

Edited by SnowHeart

Actually... since we're talking about this... Obviously if a fish is dead, you throw it away and if it's alive you either find another responsible aquarist to take care of it or give it to an LFS. But... what is the proper way to dispose of plants? For something like calupera, it would seem tossing it in the garbage disposal is not a good idea. Just put it in a landfill? Compost heap?

When I disposed of my grape caulerpa, I just flushed it...

Of course - I am on a septic system. If it survives a year in that tank - it deserves to take over the world.

bob

Yup. I think for folks who are on city sewage, it's more likely to get out into open water.

Actually... since we're talking about this... Obviously if a fish is dead, you throw it away and if it's alive you either find another responsible aquarist to take care of it or give it to an LFS. But... what is the proper way to dispose of plants? For something like Caulerpa, it would seem tossing it in the garbage disposal is not a good idea. Just put it in a landfill? Compost heap?

For plants, its the freezer. Place them in a plastic bag and freeze them for at least 24 hours. Then discard in the trash.

BB