Recycling skimate

stevearlen

Just wanted to share that, except during winter, I try to use RO/DI waste water on the lawn.

During weekly skimmer cleaning, I also throw most of the brown (salty) skimmer water down the drain but rinse the skimate gunk/sludge in a bucket of RO/DI waste and use it to fertilize the lawn.

I'm thinkin' about a lawn tour.... you should have seen my lawn two years ago!!!

I water my patio plants and my garden from spring to fall via R/O waste water.

I'm also in better shape at the end of the summer being able to hold several cocktails in one hand and a pizza in the other.

I do not recycle skimmate.

I do not recycle skimmate.

Rich in protien... you sure you don't want to have a little spread on your breakfast toast?

Rich in protien... you sure you don't want to have a little spread on your breakfast toast?

Perhaps we can provide freebie samples at the next meeting..... Sorry, just 1 bag per customer

Perhaps we can provide freebie samples at the next meeting..... Sorry, just 1 bag per customer

Might be interesting to have a taste contest, or at least a skimmate quality contest. Maybe we could do a whole thing on skimming and skimmate production - I would find that useful (minus the taste test).

I would've thought the salt in the skimmate wouldn't be very good for the grass and plants.

I think that is a valid point. I toss most the liquid and dilute the gunk in 4 gal of rodi waste water.

I would've thought the salt in the skimmate wouldn't be very good for the grass and plants.

Then is this the new way to kill weeds? Sign me up!

Edited by hbh