Brookside Gardens in Wheaton:

widescreen2.jpg

Great Falls (Maryland side):

overflow.jpg

falls1_x.jpg

great-falls_x.jpg

Very pretty pixes. So clear. Please share more info. later

Edited by vaironman

So after reading up on HDR, I've gotta ask- how are you getting your different exposures? Do the newer cameras come with the ability to take batch exposures? Then you import those into photoshop to create a tone map?

Funny thing is, I remember seeing a guy's presentation at SIGGRAPH 98 about this and remember ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the pictures but didn't understand enough about photography to appreciate what he was showing us.

Thanks all!

And what is HDR?

HDR is "high dynamic range" imaging. The basic premise is that in a normal photograph, you expose for only part of the picture, and the rest gets washed out or underexposed to the point you can't see details. Using HDR, you take several pictures to expose for the highlights, shadows, and the midtones, then combine the images. The result is an image that looks more realistic to the human eye.

I'm sure others can explain it better, and with greater detail, but that's about my level of understanding with it right now.

So after reading up on HDR, I've gotta ask- how are you getting your different exposures? Do the newer cameras come with the ability to take batch exposures? Then you import those into photoshop to create a tone map?

Funny thing is, I remember seeing a guy's presentation at SIGGRAPH 98 about this and remember ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the pictures but didn't understand enough about photography to appreciate what he was showing us.

I think most recent DSLRs have an automatic exposure bracketing and you just tell it how under/overexposed you want. Mine doesn't have it (just a Canon G9), though. So in my case, I set the camera for my normal shot, then increase the shutter speed to expose for highlights, and back it down in steps until I get the shadows. Apparently, different people approach it different ways - some just take 3 shots, highlights, midtones, shadows - and others take 7-10 shots for each image.

Then, I imported them into Google Photomatix, and it merges and tone maps the image (with plenty of settings). I tried Photoshop CS3 and it did a crappy job - looked like any other picture. Photomatix works well though, and it's "free to try" (it's free if you just create an HDR image and use "tone compressor" for tone mapping, then save. Anything else, it puts a watermark on the image.)

Overall, it's a fairly easy process. The software does a GREAT job with camera shake - I didn't have a tripod for any of those. And the Brookside Gardens pics weren't intended for me to play with HDR - I just couldn't get a decent single exposure because of the mid-afternoon sun.

Here's a before and after comparison. The first is the HDR image of the overflow. I used 3 unprocessed pics to make the image. The second pic is the BEST of those pics AFTER I processed it (by playing with the contrast, increasing the saturation, etc.).

HDR:

overflow.jpg

"normal":

gf5.jpg

Just for fun, I took your normal picture & manipulated it in photoshop to see what I could come up with (No where near as nice as HDR):

med_gallery_2631396_317_30777.jpg

Edited by Highland Reefer

Oh man this is just another good excuse to finally get a DSLR. After reading the other thread, I was thinking of getting a D40 and a 50mm f/1.4 lens, seeing this just accelerated the goal to replace my old dying point-n-shoot.

I think most recent DSLRs have an automatic exposure bracketing and you just tell it how under/overexposed you want. Mine doesn't have it (just a Canon G9), though. So in my case, I set the camera for my normal shot, then increase the shutter speed to expose for highlights, and back it down in steps until I get the shadows. Apparently, different people approach it different ways - some just take 3 shots, highlights, midtones, shadows - and others take 7-10 shots for each image.

Then, I imported them into Google Photomatix, and it merges and tone maps the image (with plenty of settings). I tried Photoshop CS3 and it did a crappy job - looked like any other picture. Photomatix works well though, and it's "free to try" (it's free if you just create an HDR image and use "tone compressor" for tone mapping, then save. Anything else, it puts a watermark on the image.)

Overall, it's a fairly easy process. The software does a GREAT job with camera shake - I didn't have a tripod for any of those. And the Brookside Gardens pics weren't intended for me to play with HDR - I just couldn't get a decent single exposure because of the mid-afternoon sun.

Here's a before and after comparison. The first is the HDR image of the overflow. I used 3 unprocessed pics to make the image. The second pic is the BEST of those pics AFTER I processed it (by playing with the contrast, increasing the saturation, etc.).

Just for fun, I took your normal picture & manipulated it in photoshop to see what I could come up with (No where near as nice as HDR):

med_gallery_2631396_317_30777.jpg

I took the image you did and modified it myself.

streamthing.jpg

Edited by txaggies07

Open it in Photoshop. Blow the image up. Using small pixels replace the watermark using the clone stamp. You won't be able to tell it was there. :biggrin:

I took the image you did and modified it myself.

streamthing.jpg

Showoff.

:bb:

This is one of my favorite pictures that I have taken. There was a little bit of photoshop done on this picture. There were two people standing on the pathway beside the train that I wanted removed. I can't find the original anymore.

milan.jpg

one more...

train.jpg

That's a wallhanger. I luv to get the file & put that in my office.

:cheers:

wow....consider me flattered. The only person who's said that of my photos before is...well...me :biggrin:

We can certainly arrange that.

This is one of my favorite pictures that I have taken. There was a little bit of photoshop done on this picture. There were two people standing on the pathway beside the train that I wanted removed. I can't find the original anymore.

milan.jpg

one more...

train.jpg

Great shots!

I love photoshop's "tourist remover" capabilities :)

One more for today, then it's off to convince myself to clean the apt. a bit.

STAMP student union, from inside the amphitheater.

STAMP_HDR_x.jpg

Thanks for the idea to go to brookside today while in Rockville. We are having our wedding there in July. Those trees are so beautiful!

Thanks for the idea to go to brookside today while in Rockville. We are having our wedding there in July. Those trees are so beautiful!

:clap: Very nice!! It'll be a beautiful place for a wedding.

Congrats!

The Student Union Shot has sentimental value to me, since I spent I lot of hours there. If you emailed the file to me (say 3/4 to 1 1/2 meg. size) I would luv it. (.jpg is fine).

The Student Union Shot has sentimental value to me, since I spent I lot of hours there. If you emailed the file to me (say 3/4 to 1 1/2 meg. size) I would luv it. (.jpg is fine).

Understood. I sent you the link. Enjoy :)

I decided to try one more HDR shot - my car. Since I have pics of all my previous Eclipses, I needed on of this one too, since we're going to sell it in a few months. Turned out well I think:

eclipse_HDR_x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another try at HDR, and a practice round for waterfalls in Hawaii in June.

First, these are the best two unedited single images out of the group that I used:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

And the compiled final image, edited to remove the trash/Photomatix watermarks and straighten.

orig.jpg