Camera package deal question

SteveM

I have been looking for a Canon XTi and have been watching the ones they sell on e bay. Does anyone have an opinion on the package deals you can get where they include several of the lens. I saw this one tonight and was wondering if it was worth it for what you get.

It includes the camera, 4 gig card, case, tripods, flash and 5 lens. Along with a bunch of other stuff. The lens are the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4, Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Wide Angle lens cover and a Telephoto lens cover.

Price seems to run around $930

I have also seen almost the same deal with all Canon lens instead of the Sigma, those seem to be more expensive. About $100 more. Is it worth the money to get the Canon lens or are the Sigma ones okay?

Are these types of deals worth the price? They seem to include a lot of stuff.

I got the xti deal with the cannon lenses from costco. Can't say I'm happy with the lenses I have, but am too poor to upgrade...

Hey Steve! I have a Canon Rebel XTi. I would suggest looking at www.digicombos.com

They have a huge package deals that come with a lot of lenses and other things.

I hope this helps.

Stephanie

a 28-70 and 70-300 are a good combination of lens ranges. i don't know about the the canon v. sigma lenses. research the lens online and see what kind of reviews you can find. I'm guessing the 50 is a prime lens - usually something good to have. Research the lens covers - these are actually really important. The included ones are probably cheap, you should upgrade them as soon as you can. Talk to the guys at Ritz, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. As far as whether it's a good price, I have no idea.

I just recently bought my camera through amazon. Before I did that, I compared prices between the amazon and costco and found that amazon was cheaper. Find the package you like, then compare to other sites and include in the cost of the exact same type of lense and see how much they cost when add together vs the package deal.

Sigma is a well known lense manufacturer for a very long time and are highly respected. One of the reasons why you see price difference between Sigma and Canon lenses is in the name. People often feel more comfortable sticking with a brand name that they recognize and trust. I have 2 Sigma lenses for my Canon Elan 2e 35MM camera that I bought 10 years ago. With the xti, I will be using those same lenses as well.

Keep in mind, a lot of the electronics sold on Amazon are gray market and warranties may or may not be honored within the US.

Thanks for all the replies. I am still torn between the Canon XTi and the Nikon D80. I also just found out that Canon has a new camera, the XSi comng out any day now. It is suposed to be the next step up from the XTi.

There are to many choices......

1) looks like your have/ willing to spend up to $1000 on a camera combo based on your citing a ebay package of $930

2) check out kenrockwell.com - he does lots of reviews on cannon & nikon stuff -143gadgets turned me on to this website.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

07 April 2008, Monday

Observation: I see Nikon factory refurbished D40 kits in stock for $399.95, a killer deal. I'm still happy having paid $600 for the same thing new in 2006. I saved about $3,000 when I got my 400mm f/2.8 AF-I as a Nikon factory refurb back in 1999, and it still works perfectly today.

see his page here for recommendations: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

You can take the extra loot and either buy a nice 18-200 VR lens - I have one and love it. Or spend less and get a 18-55 lens and the 55-200 vr lens. Or I'll make you a good deal on a lightly used 70-300 vr nikon lens.

3) Make sure you are buying USA warranty goods. There are a lot of grey market stuff out there as Ybenormal points out.

cannon & nikon both good - but before you buy a package with like 4 -5 lenes, you should play with them at a local shop or borrow if you can from members here - or read what a pro like rockwell says about lens.

canon reviews

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/index.htm

nikon reviews

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm

I got a nikon d70s refurbished from adorama and over 5,000 pics and works fine. I got the mac camera extended warranty for like $35 bucks. - I posted somewhere on this forum about camera I got. Adorama called me after order to verify shipping addy and that I made order

(edited)

Canon Xti is a great choice. I did lotsa research before buying this camera for school. I like this one better than nikon because it more affordable and quality is as good.

Definitely upgrade ur lense though if u buy the beginner lense kit which come with Canon 18-55mm. Not that this is a bad lense it actually a very good lense but there is better one out there especially if you are serious.

If you do upgrade I highly recommend canon 17-85mm

Edited by bk_market

I have a Sigma 100-300 USM lense for me elan 2e that I'm now using with the 18-55mm. That was one of the best lense of its time. Far better quality than the equivalent Canon made lense. I also have a canon 380EX flash that I will use with it. I've always found the built in flash too insufficient for me.

I bought an extra battery and a canon battery grip. I was going to buy an after market battery grip for nearly half the price of the canon, but after reading all the comments about it and did some research, I decided to bite the bullet and stick with the canon battery grip. The canon battery grip seems to be of better quality and does not have that cheaply made texture and look. I tested the camera briefly and I have to admit, I am very impressed with it. The added center gravity weight to the camera from the battery grip just make the camera feel more solid in my hands and more stable.

One of the nice thing I like about the Canon digital slr line is that many of the things that work in their regular EOS 35mm cameras also work in their latest line of digital SLRs. A cool thing that I bought years ago for my elan2e was a wireless remote so I can do bulb exposure shots without having my hands on the camera or able to take pictures of myself and my then girlfriend (now wife) without requiring someone to do it for us. That same remote can also be used on this camera. I love it!

Edited by jnguyen4007

One of the best places to buy camera equipment is b and h photo. They are in New York and have a huge selection. My uncle is a pro and won't buy from anyone else. The service is fantastic and they always stand behind their stuff. Their website is www.bhphotovideo.com. Check it out. FWIW I just bought a Nikon D40 and absolutely love it. No question their lenses are the best.

Thomas

I finally made my decision and went with a Nikon D80. I got 2 lenses, the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm both of them are the VR (Vibration Reduction) versions.

I almost went with B&H photo but I actually found a pretty good deal thru another reputable place that included a few extras like the memory card, tripod, back pack carrying case, hard case and a few other items.

I am hoping to get everything by the weekend. I am actually going to try to go back to school to get a degree in Photography so that when I retire in 3 years I can go into business.

I finally made my decision and went with a Nikon D80. I got 2 lenses, the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm both of them are the VR (Vibration Reduction) versions.

I almost went with B&H photo but I actually found a pretty good deal thru another reputable place that included a few extras like the memory card, tripod, back pack carrying case, hard case and a few other items.

I am hoping to get everything by the weekend. I am actually going to try to go back to school to get a degree in Photography so that when I retire in 3 years I can go into business.

Congrats on the new camera purchase! I'll be at BRK on Sat if you are gonna be in the area.

Nikon D80. Good choice. It will do everything you will need. I think eventually you will want the fastest closeup lens you can find. The zoom lens are ok, but don't let enough light through and if you supplement the light, the colors will not be correct. A fast 50 mm lense is great too. I luv going fast. :biggrin:

Edited by Highland Reefer