My little piece of Tranquilty

st9z

(edited)

My 1 year anniversary is coming up and I thought I post my pics and experiences. :) soo if you are bored at work or have nothing else to do come join me on my little journey to the past with my 55 gallon.

First Pictures taken on 04/25

Inside pic are 50lbs of live sand and 2 fiji live rocks about 30lbs. The first biggest mistake, I purchase the live rock at Super Petz for $5.99 per lb. It didn't even had coraline algae on it.

Equipment at the time

CPR Bak-Pak Protein skimmer

1 heater

Ecco Eheim Canister

JBJ PC lighting (1st lighting mistake!) (grrr) was told by a guy off Craiglist "it's the best thing you need to keep corals."

DSC02325.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

Edited by st9z

Uh oh, hmmmmmm.....

Is it going to take a year to get caught up to see what your tank looks like today??? :)

That's a good idea....nah that would take too long I'll try to post at least one a day or every other day. It's hard trying to find all your old pics and arranging them by date. :)

Did you go with PC lighting or what?

At that time I did buy the PC lighting from the guy. Worst $200 spent ever!

After 1 month of cycling we return with these pictures which were taken 05/29/07

Equipment upgrade:

- lighting system #2 Aquamedic MH and T5 combo. After doing more research and reading I found out the hard way PC lighting was not going to do it for me in my tank. Soo purchase this lighting system off of ebay. Love it and hate it at the same time. Love it because you can't go wrong with this combo .... hate it b/c it only came with 2 plugs (#1 for the MH and T5) (#2 for moonlights) <-- this made timing my lighting very hard.

- added 2 maxi power jet 1200

- added 2 power sweeper ( Piece of crap btw!)

Stock:

Added 100lbs more live rock

1 clown (Kirby))

1 royal gamma (Meanie)

3 chromis name Drew Barrymore, Lucy Lu, Cameron D (Charlie's Angel)

1 firefish ((Fiy)

Epidemic of the month GREEN HAIR ALGAE!!

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02376-1.jpg

OoO I have a game for everybody to play OoO

The first person who can guess the first coral I put in my tank will when a frag of RAD zoas (Radioactive Dragon Eyes) pick up at the meet

clues

Care Level: Moderate

Temperament: Aggressive

Lighting: High

Waterflow: Medium

Placement: All

Water Conditions: 72-78

Galaxia

wow very fast and you are correct!

DSC02362.jpg

You have won a 4+ polyp of RAD zoa! Congrats!

DSC00026.jpg

June07 was a boring month nothing much changed. I rescue a yellow tang from a fish store. The poor guy had a scar eye and nobody wanted him so they were going to kill him. :( Soo I took him home with me where he would have a chance at life. Also added another clown and a starfish. Coral wise added brown mushrooms, GSP, and 1 hard coral. The green hair algae disappear along with the MH and T5 combo. The not being able to control my lighting sequence got to me, so i replaced it temporarly with just 400 watt MH for the month. I was waiting for my T5 unit to ship.

Bubbles

DSC02542.jpg

Patrick

DSC02548.jpg

400 watt MH and new rock work

DSC02465.jpg

Corals

DSC02467.jpg

Like all stories what goes up must come down...

July07 was the worst month I had my first disease plaque in my tank. Most of the fish died from ICH. The only ones that survive are the clowns, yellow tang, and 3 chromis. :(

Everyone was put in quarantine for 1 month while the main tank was treated with Kick-Ich

DSC02428.jpg

In mid Aug07 all the fishy I had left were introduced back into the main tank :) I scrubbed all the algae off of the rocks and hope for the best at round 2. I also changed the lighting system to the T5 Coralife Nova Extreme. I love everything about this fixture except for it didnt have the individual reflectors :( I added a CPR HOB refugium I was told it might solve my GHA problem.

DSC02561.jpg

DSC02529.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

(edited)

What kind of skimmer are you using? This might be a contributing factor to your GHA issue.

How is your feeding, routine, etc... Give us a little more info.

Sorry, just relook at your original post. CPR bakpak skimmer. You tank will look even much better if setup with a sump, run carbon and a shorty skimmer from Dan would improve the GHA issue or could be going away completely I think.

Edited by vaironman

What kind of skimmer are you using? This might be a contributing factor to your GHA issue.

How is your feeding, routine, etc... Give us a little more info.

Sorry, just relook at your original post. CPR bakpak skimmer. You tank will look even much better if setup with a sump, run carbon and a shorty skimmer from Dan would improve the GHA issue or could be going away completely I think.

Actually I had the GHA problem in Sept07 :) I was reminiscing my story from the beginning. Sorry for the confusion and thank you so much for your offer to help. This is why I love wamas ppl are soo eager to help one another.

Your tank has come a long way and is looking great. Keep up the good work and have a Happy soon-to-be 1st Anniversary :clap:

Thanks a bunch!

September07 was the month of the mushrooms and zoas. I started to collect different kinds of mushrooms and zoas. Mushrooms and zoas started to fascinate me because of the different color combination you can get with them. Most were purchased off of different user from RC.

Enjoy...

Neon Green Mushrooms

DSC02648.jpg

Purple Mushroom

DSC02652.jpg

Baby Blue Mushrooms

DSC02649.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes

DSC02682.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OCT07

I purchased my first anemone from James....

DSC02592.jpg

and frogspawn from Steve 3heads

DSC02643.jpg

also purchased my Midas Bleeny aka Bloo

DSC02593.jpg

Tank shot at the time

DSC02635.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much happen in Nov-Dec07

The only new addition to the tank are a blue clam from BRK, another RBTA, and my blue xenia from Bob

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

Getting Kirmy and Nemo :) to host the anemone was a pain. But after 1 week of luring the clowns to the anemone with food every night it final happen :clap:

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02847.jpg

Tank shot

DSC02850.jpg