My obsession - 450g reef

Howdy strangers!!

How is the tank going? I haven't seen you on in a while and wanted to say hello! Also I need to get your suction cups back to you! Anyway I hope all is well!

Allen

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see some updated pics of the corals. How is their growth under the LED lighting? I'm experimenting with a LED light over a 60cube right now, mainly with LPS and a RBTA. The corals definitely had an adjustment period, but now seem to be liking the light. Its only been a couple weeks, so can't really comment on growth.

Hi Allen! Hopefully things are going well with your new tank. :)

Hey James. Well, the LEDs are great, the corals have exploded in the last few months, BUT PFO is out of business. So much for saving money in the long run by saving electric, no bulb replacements, etc. One of the power supplies died on my 72" solaris so two of the panels are dark. I tried for over an hour to get ahold of them this afternoon so while I was looping within their answering machine, I started to do some google searches. Apparently they were violating a patent which was filed by Orbitec and Orbitec sued them and the court has ordered PFO to stop selling the solaris until the case is settled. Now I'm stuck! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking around for many bulbed T5 fixtures now. My 48" Solaris is still solid so it's staying. The 72" one is garbage though.

I'll try to get some pics of the tanks this weekend. We've had some fish changes in the predator tank. Big surpise there, eh? lol

Edited by tbittner

You could probably buy a power supply for the LEDs - obviously have to figure out what voltage they run at, but that shouldn't be a problem. Alternately, you could sell 'em to me on the cheaps and I'll do it... but I probably couldn't afford even cheap solaris stuff.

Paul

Because I still have five other working power supplies, I'll be able to figure out the power output on the four pins that come out of the power supply. It will be a simple matter to modify a PC power supply to replace the bad one. Where I'm concerned is with flaky bulbs. I guess I can figure out who they bought the LEDs from and solder in replacements. At least least figure out the wattage and type of the LEDs and get replacements.

Wow I hate to hear that about your lights. I'm not happy to hear that about PFO either as I have and use one of their ballasts on my system. HA! I'm upgrading to IceCaps so I will be ok. I guess this will just speed the process up!

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the tank.

Low and behold, I figured it out! The molex connectors coming out of a PC power supply (the four pin connector that has yellow, black, black, red) are exactly what is coming out of the Solaris power supply. I hooked one of my spare pc power supplies up to the cable going to the Solaris and the two dark panels LIT UP! :)

Awesome!!!

Close call but a good fix!

Oh and we would LOVE to see some current pics of the tanks!!!

Hint Hint...Wink Wink.....

Jessy says hi btw, Zack too.....

Edited by Ziggy953

Low and behold, I figured it out! The molex connectors coming out of a PC power supply (the four pin connector that has yellow, black, black, red) are exactly what is coming out of the Solaris power supply. I hooked one of my spare pc power supplies up to the cable going to the Solaris and the two dark panels LIT UP! :)

Sweet! Nice job!

I ordered an LED light via a CMAS (and WAMAS I think) group buy. The owner of that company is picking up the lawsuit where PFO left off. The patent seems pretty flimsy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for being away for so long but we've been busy on our next project. I know, I know, it's not salt water so this is the last time I'll mention it. We built an 8,000 gallon koi pond. Here are a couple pics of it. Every ounce of energy we've had for the last 3 1/2 months has gone into this. The reef and the predator tanks are all going great too. I'll get some pics of those later.

From the side door, looking towards the water fall:

aug1609001.jpg

From the road side, looking towards the house:

aug1609050.jpg

The water fall:

aug1609053.jpg

Lilies and other plants:

aug1609009.jpg

We have babies already:

aug1609006.jpg

Anyway, I don't want to take up too much room here and/or bore anyone with a fresh water pond. I just thought someone might be interested.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

T