how long do you leave the lights for your fuge on?

jnguyen4007

I usually turn it on for about 12 hours. 6:30pm to 6:30am Reverse period for my regular running lights and then sometimes I forget that and I leave it on for 24 hours (ugh). Stinking chaeto grows like there's no tomorrow so usually I trim and just head over the LFS and hand it off since it fills up my entire 2nd chamber.

24 hours a day

15watt desk light bought from IKEA.. Works like a charm, though I do have it rigged only with tape to my Biocube (kinda nasty, but it works).

15watt desk light bought from IKEA.. Works like a charm, though I do have it rigged only with tape to my Biocube (kinda nasty, but it works).

I got this outdoor light from RC. The bulb that HD have for it is 80 watt. Until my new stand is complete where I can mount it inside the stand, the thing is so bright right now that at night, it lit up my entire family room.

i have a cpr aquafuge with stock lighting i leave on 24/7 xtinas tank with have day light flood light bulbs from home depot also left on 24/7 over her cheato in sump

You might be a redneck if you use duct tape to mount your refugium light. I think I'll send that one to Jeff Foxworthy.

:bb:

I do opposite of tank - my understanding of this is that it helps keep the Ph stable.

For a light I use a NO 10k in an aquarium strip fixture. I want to try that thing with using xenia in a fuge but best I can do with light right now is add a second and maybe 3rd of those strips which I already have. Any feedback on this? (Sorry, hijacking thread a little).

Specific link is fuge bulb. I have used this for nearly three years now and it works great.

looks good.

I used the bulb in the link posted as well... has my chaeto growing like a weed. I run the lights about 12 hours reverse of the display tank.

(edited)

I got this light off of RC for $20.00 shipped. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...=10000003+90043 The original 65W bulb broke in transit so I went to Home Depot to get a replacement bulb. The only kind they had for it is 80W and that's what I used. Like I said, that thing is BRIGHT!! For now, I'm keeping it on for only 8 hours during the night. I'm curious to know if there is any more beneficial to keeping it on longer.

Edited by jnguyen4007

that's a large fuge. How large is your display tank?

55 gallons. It is a long story, but I had my old 55 gallon tank available, so I drilled it, and made it into a 55 gallon fuge for my new 55 gallon tank.

I leave my fuge light on until the bulb dies. Then it's dark for the week or so it takes me to get a new bulb. Then I repeat the whole process, I would like to find a bulb that doesn't die aftrer only 3 months though. You'd think they had long life bulbs or something!