Can Flex PVC be used??

Lunker

I'm currently planning on installing my sump & fuge in my basement. Has anyone used flex PVC for any of our aquarium projects and do you have any suggestings or advice for me?

Thanks!

I've read that it works very well and since you get rid of a lot of elbows you have lots less resistance. The problem I ran in to when wanting to use it was just finding the stuff. Seems most places carry up to 3/4 inch, which does not work to well, epically in an application like yours going from floor to floor.

I'm sure others will have more advice on both using it, and finding it.

Good Luck!

My sump is under the stand. I have two 1" drains and two 3/4" returns. The drains use hard PVC but the returns use 3/4 inch "Clear Vinyl Tubing" (purchased at Home Depot). As I recall, they have larger sizes as well.

Steve

I found the following on-line site (http://www.flexpvc.com/) with 1/2" to 6" flex PVC available. I would think that using this method would give me more flexability and an easier method for me to install. (Oh there is got to be a pun in that.)

By the way my tank is a rr 120g. I plan on running two drains into the sump in the basement. Those run would be no longer than 10' to the sump. I do appreciate your responses.

Ron

When I dropped my sump into the basement, I had to go to a larger pump because of the head pressure, although I used standard PVC, 1" up and 2" down. Then I had to add a chiller on, because of the heat the larger pump created.

It has been recommended that I use a Sequence Barracuda.

I'm using a Blueline Aqua Pump model 100. It has a built-in fan to add further cooling. Haven't had problems with it yet after 2 1/2 years. This pump runs everthing in my system: Chiller, skimmer, 6 nozzles in my tank for reef flow and I still have a relief pipe back into the sump. I have plans to add on a deep sand bed, refugium and frag tank, which I am sure it will be able to handle without any problems.

This a simple layout of what I have currently and what I plan to add on:

gallery_2631396_317_521775.jpg

I used the standard plumbing PVC valves you get from Home Depot. I used the quick disconnects, you unscrew from Home Depot to allow removal of equipment, ie the skimmer and pool filter, for cleaning. I also added the quick disconnects at the tank connections, in case I had to replace the tank or what have you.

The fitting sizes are 1" for flow to the tank and I used one 2" for the plumbing return. I figured the 1" would cut down on resistance and the 2" was less likely to get clogged. They use 1 1/2" drains in houses.

Looks like I will now be found in the plumbing section of HD or Lowes in the near future. Thanks for your drawing also, it all helps. My wife is getting warm to the idea that I will be making a few holes in the floor. :wig:

Ron,

If you have carpeting, pull back the carpet and pad in the area you want to drill the holes through. Check the basement 1st to make sure there is no electrical, hvac or water lines in the area you want to drill. Then drill a small hole through where you want to drill at 1st, to see where it is in the basement. As long as you do not hit joists or other things, you are good for drilling the larger holes. If you do hit a joist, then you will have to move your hole over to miss it. The little hole can be filled easily with wood filler. Let me know if I can help in any way.

:cheers:

Edited by Highland Reefer

I bought mine from here: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/spaflex.html It took me awhile to find a place online that didn't require that I buy a 30 or 50' roll. These guys sell by the foot. There is pvc cement made especially for flex pvc but I'm not sure tat it is necessary. I used it, but I have read of other people using regular pvc cement with success.

I thought I add that the diagram I drew does not show all the cut-off fittings I have for bypassing & what have you. I would recommend that, when you do your plumbing, that you go ahead & install any additional plumbing for Items you may want to install including the cutoffs. Then just cap them off. Another thing that I did, that you may want to think about, is that I plumbed in my mixing container at a higher elevation than my sump, including valves. When I want to do a water change, all I have to do is fill the container and then release the valve and it flows into the sump.

Cliff,

That is a great idea about ensuring the fittings for future appliances. Easier to do it now than once everything is operating.

Sea Monkey,

thanks for the additional plumbing site. Much appreciated.

Ron

I've been using spa flex pvc for 17-18 years.

To glue, I use Rain R Shine (blue glue) from HD.

I'm pretty sure BRK sells it by the foot but it's likley to be black which might be UV resistant or simply to hide for ponds.

1/2" - 3/4" and 1" are pretty darn flexible and allow for pretty tight curves.

1 1/2" and up is not as flexible but still great to use.

I use it for my return but tight bends may need a 45 added to accomplish tight curves.

Some report throwing it in the dryer to soften it or using a heat gun in the immediate area.

Even a piece as short as 6" long can be used to dampen vibration from pumps if needed.

This is not to be confused with clear tubing from HD or the like.

I used it on my system and ordered it from savko. It's easy to work with, but I would recommend using some primer on larger diameter tubing. I would avoid the silicone tubing as it kinks and reduces flow, also creating a lot of pressure at the pump, reducing flow and possibly causing the hose to come off the barb fittings.

Spaflex, which I think is what Lowes stocks, is a bit less flexible than flexpvc, by the way, if I'm thinking of it in the right way. In any case, whatever they sell at Lowes is stiffer than what they sell at savko. Oh, and if you're getting some, get extra! I bought either a 50' or a 100' roll and used almost all of it up, even though I thought I'd have tons to spare.

I recently purchased some 1" flex PVC and the PVC cement from BRK. Be sure you get the PVC that works on flex PVC, it's different from the common stuff that's made for regular rigid PVC. The glue for flex PVC works on flex and rigid.

I still think, that with the plumbing runs you'll be making, you will be better off using standard plumbing pvc. It will be cheaper and it will last longer. PVC is easy to work with, kinda like putting tinker toys together. If you make a mistake, no big deal, just cut it out and start over again. I recommend, you buy the pvc cutting tool, which makes life much easier and worth every penny. My two cents.

I have not seen any longevity issues with flex pvc. I just replaced some sections that were as old as 17-18 years old. Not as flexible as when I installed it but it was still in the shape I wanted so....

At Dave's suggestion, I'm trying the "more flexible stuff" from savko. His whole reputation is riding on it.

I have not seen any longevity issues with flex pvc. I just replaced some sections that were as old as 17-18 years old. Not as flexible as when I installed it but it was still in the shape I wanted so....

At Dave's suggestion, I'm trying the more flexible stuff from savko. His whole reputation is riding on it.

Sorry if I sound old fashion, but I have had to replace to many of the newer flexible plumbing lines in houses for customers over the years, for reasons as mentioned above: Kinking, bad connections, material cracking and the list goes on. It seems like just about every new flexible plumbing product that has come out, has been recalled for one reason or the other. Just talk to ANY plumber and he will tell you to stick with the standard pvc.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Excellent advice. I'll be sure to use the flex only where I feel it is necessary.

Thanks/Ron

I replaced mine only because I replumbed in a larger size, which I also used flex for.

The stuff gets a calcium/gunk build up and becomes a little harder to bend, but after 17-18 years, not worth reusing given the cost is still very cheap if you figure in length of service.

I just ordered some 2" for quieter tank drains, plus 3/4" and 1/2" just to have in case.

HR's might just be an issue of how/what it was used for.