Oldies, what rocked your reef world?

lancer99

You people are old.

Garrett.

The word is "experienced," thank you very much :)

What's the minimum age requirement to post in this thread?

None, anyone can get into the WayBack Machine...it's just that for some of us, the trips are much longer.

OMG!!! I just remembered I'm going to be 30 in June. Off to drink away the depression. :drink:

And I'm going to be 48 next week :( which is probably what got me to thinking along these lines.

Y'all have some great stories. It's funny that everyone's experiences are different, and yet we all ended up in the same place. :)

-R

I was obsessed with aquariums in the 1970s, just ask my mom. I enlisted in the US Marine Corps and was stationed in HI where I learned to scuba dive. My tank is a reflection of that time, all Pacific fish/corals.

My wife broke down and got me a 3g fish tank after the MPD academy, then a 36g then some mollies that learned to be saltwater, then some live rock......... I still enjoy freshwater S. American Cichlids but can't keep two different systems. Salt water it is.

I am obsessed with aquariums in the 2000s...

My dad had a 15 gal fw tank. When I was about 10 or so, I took it over. Upgraded to a 20 tall, went from swordtails to cichlids. Always drooled over the saltwater fish, but my parents wouldn't let me keep them. Took a few years off (like 7) when I was in school and stationed on a cutter. When I got to dc, 8 years ago started up with a 29 and some cichlids. Still drooled over sw. I kept fw for 3 years, then when I got married and bought a house started my 120 reef. Made all the noob mistakes before finding WAMAS. After 5 years, was just starting to get things going good, then moved and broke down my system. But, I have the bug. I'm already making plans for a 300gal system in my new house in NC. I'm just about a year away from being able to start it. :(

BB

Everyone has such great beginner stories and all I have is that I was bored with freshwater.

Definitely it was snorkeling and diving over the reefs in Okinawa back in the mid-70's. The colors, shapes, and diversity of life was incredible. Since then, I've always longed to to have my own little corner of the reef. I put off satisfying that dream until my other financial priorities were taken care of (such as paying for the house, paying for the kids' college expenses, etc.). Now that I'm finally there, I'm a bit older (so I guess I'm qualified to play now, eh?).

On a side note, I had a chance to scuba off those same reefs about a year and a half ago. Definitely impressive, but not anywhere near the same as 30 years ago. Reefs are in decline worldwide.