How often do you empty/rinse skimmer cup/resevoir?

stevearlen

How often to you empyty your skimmer  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Frequency

• every week
    • 2 x month
    • once per month
    • once every 1-2 months
    • 2 months +

How often do you empty/rinse skimmer cup/resevoir?

wouldn't this also need to consider how BIG the skimmer is?? therefore making the skimmer cup larger and needing it to be emptied less often?? mine is a HOB and usually needs cleaning every week....

just curious....

(edited)

Every 5 days - to weekly. Make sure the gunk is cleaned out from inside neck of the cup holder. 3 minutes work, keep the tank water with nice clean quality.

Edited by vaironman

wouldn't this also need to consider how BIG the skimmer is?? therefore making the skimmer cup larger and needing it to be emptied less often?? mine is a HOB and usually needs cleaning every week....

just curious....

My skimmer has a very large collection cup and I could easily go a month or more without emptying the collection cup. Gunk builds up on the inside neck of skimmer cup though and reduces efficiency, or at least it seems to reduce efficiency of my skimmer, so I try to clean it once every week or two.

(edited)

I have an aqua C and I empty it and clean it about every other day. I do an intensive cleaning about once a month.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Want more fun - how often do you disassemble your skimmer and give it a thorough cleaning (needlewheel, etc.) ???

bob

wouldn't this also need to consider how BIG the skimmer is?? therefore making the skimmer cup larger and needing it to be emptied less often?? .....

Yes. I have an ASM-G2 (I understand it is rated for 200 gal) for a 100 gal. Bio load is:

Yellow Tang

Flame Angel

Linear Blenny

Black False Perc Clown

Firefish

Orchid Dottyback

Six Line Wrasse

3 X blue-green Chromis

If the reservoir is the body of the skimmer itself, I have to say that I seldom clean it, although I have stuck a toilet bowl scrubber in there a couple of times to clean the inside off a bit. I don't know that there's much maintenance to be done inside the body of the skimmer itself. If it's the cup, I clean it at least once a week. It tends to build up a layer of sludge and then it doesn't work as well in the neck. I take off the collection cup and scrub it out completely, and if the cone needs some help before the riser, I wash that as well.

I clean the cup part like 3x week not because it needs emptying but because I don't like the sludge and like being able to see what the foam is doing.