Fish Compatability

newfish

Ok, So I am trying to plan what I will be getting when my tank is ready again.(7 weeks and Counting impatiently)

I will definatly be getting a mated pair of clowns. Not sure what kind yet but I kind of want something different like the Onyx clowns or Picasso clowns but not sure yet.

I am really interested in getting an orange spotted blenny and also a yellow watchman goby.

I have also been looking at the lemonpeel angel, bi-color angel, and flame angel(of course I wouldnt get all of them just one.)

I would like to get both the goby and the blenny but will those angels be to much to keep in my tank. Also will the goby and blenny get along ok.

I am also open to suggestions for different fish.

I will be getting more LR as well so there will be more hiding spaces and such.

Thanks

Josh

Josh,

I am going through the same thing, the fun of picking out fish!

Be aware that clowns vary a lot in terms of agression. Perculas, Ocellaris and skunks are the mellowest, all the way up to Maroons, which are extremely aggressive. The Onyx and Picasso are both percs/ocellaris (I forget which), so those are good choices.

Other fish you might consider are Pseudochromis/Dottybacks. The wild-captured ones are holy terrors, but the TR ones are pretty mellow. Others I like are Cardinals and firefish, although the latter are jumpers.

Can't comment on the rest of your choices, since I don't know much about them. I'm sure the fish experts will chime in though :)

-R

I'll chime in on the Pseudochromis/Dottybacks. I have a 48 gallon and this was one of my first fish. It is a beautiful fish however it is semi-aggressive. It will pick on anything it's own size or smaller. It killed my peppermint shrimp, caused my firefish to jump out or hide and starve to death. I just tore my tank apart to catch him and give him away. He also stayed back in the rocks alot so you didn't even see him much. My suggestion would be to avoid this fish.

Karen

I don't know what goes with what but I 've read the yellow watchmen is agressive with other bottem dweloing fish s the two spot might fight:)

Dwarf angels sometimes will nip at corals and clams and since you have a clam it might be bad:) anyway I'd have to do more research!

(edited)

Daisy,

Was it a wild-caught or TR Pseudochromis?

Either way, they will definitely eat ornamental shrimp, but from what I've read, the tank-raised ones are much less aggressive.

Josh, yellow watchman gobies feed by picking up a mouthful of sand, extracting what they can, then spitting out the sand....and the sand ends up everywhere, so it irritates corals. This is just from what I've read, so no personal experience, but they don't seem like the best reef inhabitants.

-R

Edited by lancer99

I've kept yellow watchmen and jawfish they both do the same thing and it never bothered my corals... Every once in a while you will have a live rock collapse from where they are tunleing and they both can't be placed in the same tank together!

Be careful with the angels. All three say that a 30 gallon tank is a minimum, but that may be an understatement (I too am a fan of dwarf angels but after having a convo with an LFS owner, I understand now why he strongly suggested to wait until I upgrade from my 35 gallon to something larger).

With that being said, gmubeach has a point. All three of those angels will probably pick at the mantle of your clam (along with probably harassing a coral here and there). Also, you'll need to pay close attention to the aggressiveness of the angels. I read somewhere that if you intend on getting a flame angel, for instance, it would be best to add it last. That way your other fish have had time to get their territories squared away so if Mr. Flame Angel decides to step on some shoes, he'll get some resistance, putting him in his place.

Do some research and keep your bio-load of your tank in the back of your mind.

the fridmani pseudochromis, aka orchid dottyback, is not near as aggressive as the others. I have one - beautiful fish, gets along fine. When I first put it in the tank the damsel (RIP) had the fridmani's tail almost gone within a few hours - the fridmani never even trid to fight back. They will likely eat ornamental shrimp but they will also eat bristleworms for you. Dottybacks don't like their own kind, and sometimes it's not good to put them with ssimilar-looking fish.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will probably hold off on the angels and also the watchman. I will probably look more into the Orange spot and a lawnmower, and my clowns. Thats probably all I will have for a while unless something catches my attention :P

Dottybacks don't like their own kind, and sometimes it's not good to put them with similar-looking fish.

(Hijacking Josh's post a bit....)

Forrest, from reading & asking questions on RC, two Dottybacks will be okay IF they are both TR, IF they are similar in size and IF they are introduced together.

That's a lot of IFs :)

Does anyone have any experience with that?

I'm hoping it's true...I have my heart set on both a Neon and Fridmani/Orchid dotty (75G tank).

If not I will probably have a Neon dottyback for sale soon!

-R

(Hijacking Josh's post a bit....)

No, I dont mind, I like hearing about the different setups people are interested in and learning about whats available.

Good Info

:P

Have you thought about yellow or clown gobies? Both very cool, tiny mellow fish, but both are "perching" types, and may irritate SPS it they decide that's their favorite hangout.

-R

Have you thought about yellow or clown gobies? Both very cool, tiny mellow fish, but both are "perching" types, and may irritate SPS it they decide that's their favorite hangout.

-R

I had a yellow clown goby as my first fish, He was pretty cool but I think he made my clam mad. I recently saw the green clown goby and the coloring on those are really cool. So Its a possibility.

My last clown goby would perch on my Female Clown and go for rides. It was really funny to watch. If I could get a program to Cut videos and make them shorter I would post it.

Thanks for the good suggestion

I have a Diamond Watchman Goby (http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=220) in my tank in Cleveland and he is probably my favorite fish. Loves to move the sand around and dig holes for himself but I have never seen him bother another inhabitant.

Only worry would be rocks falling due to the digging and the water got cloudy when he first got in there, but he cleared up any minor algae growth on the top of the sand so I didn't have to siphon it out!

Joe

I have a Diamond Watchman Goby (http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=220) in my tank in Cleveland and he is probably my favorite fish. Loves to move the sand around and dig holes for himself but I have never seen him bother another inhabitant.

Joe

Great fish, I've had one for years. Can be hard to find. Often available at Roozen's.