Reef Crystals dissapointment

Guest satellite62

Guest satellite62

The other day, I broke open my new bucket of Reef Crystals (bought three weeks ago) and made 10 gallons of SW. Using RO/DI water and my my calibrated refractometer, mixed up the water to 35ppt.

Circulated this mix for several hours with a 300gph pump. Tested clacium using an API test and got a reading of 400 PPM.

Tested for magnesium using a seachem kit and got a reading of 1125ppm.

Now I know that RC had some low calcium and Mag problems early last year but I understood that these were corrected. I was expecting a reading of 420 for calcium and 1260 for magnesium.

I am rather dissapointed with RC and don't see much benefit of paying $10 over the costs of Instant Ocean if these measurements continue. My last bucket of IO was testing out at 380 PPM, I did not run the mag test on the IO.

Anybody else having issues with RC?

I converted to the IO for the same reason. I only got a Calcium reading of 380 for Reef Crystals on my readings with the Salifert kit at 35. The magesium test kit is on back order.

i just switched back to reef crystals and i find that i have to add 2 and 1/3 cups of calcium from randy's recipe to get it to 420ppm in my tank. magnesium is about 1100 or so. i would switch back if it wasnt the same issue. can any of these guys produce a consistent quality product that performs as advertised.

IMO,

if they are running as close to what you guys are saying then it's likely not a big deal if you do more freguent smaller exchanges then if you do less frequent larger exchanges.

I rarely change more than 10-15g at a shot on my 400g system, but do it several times per month.

I use I/O because I add via Ca and kalk reactors.

I am beginning to not like instant ocean as well........i dont care to much for the 8.0-8.1 ph on freshly made batches.......and my last two batches (3 gallons) tested both around 380-90 on calcium.........

i got my readings from a pinpoint monitor and salifert test kit.........

Bryan

Hrm, this thread made me want to test my mix also. Results are similar:

pH: 8.24

dKH: 11

Calcium: 395ppm

pH was tested using Reef Fanatics monitor

dKH tested using Salifert

Calcium tested using SeaTest.

I read some thread a while back where IO would replace your salt if you mailed them a sample? Anyone have info on this?

Not sure if it means anything, but the numbers by the barcode seem to indicate this salt is OLD. RC1-160P 03/05 ?

Edit: Found the thread on IO/RC quality control: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

Edited by magnetic1

Hrm, this thread made me want to test my mix also. Results are similar:

pH: 8.24

dKH: 11

Calcium: 395ppm

pH was tested using Reef Fanatics monitor

dKH tested using Salifert

Calcium tested using SeaTest.

I read some thread a while back where IO would replace your salt if you mailed them a sample? Anyone have info on this?

Not sure if it means anything, but the numbers by the barcode seem to indicate this salt is OLD. RC1-160P 03/05 ?

i would like your readings.........oh welll................

water changes are agood idea and so is testing. I used to use reef crystals and switch die to low mag levels. not worried about alk or cal levels because my kalk and calcium reactors help me maintain those levels but mag is another story. I elded up switching back to IO because not worth the money for me if I still must suppliment (same issues found when using seachem Reef) so now I just test mag (yes chip one day I will replace your kit) and dose when needed with ESV mag.

Before suplimentation, my mag level was 1050 using RC and after 1.5 gallons (yes, you read correctly) levels are up to 1310 (this was accomplished very slowly over a few weeks) and now test once a week and dose as needed.

lesson. dont belive just just because you pay more and the box/bucket says it contains more of one thing or another. testing and monitoring (corals look good? how are things growing?) how your tank is doing the only way to really tell.

Edited by kngfisher

Guest satellite62

The other day, I broke open my new bucket of Reef Crystals (bought three weeks ago) and made 10 gallons of SW. Using RO/DI water and my my calibrated refractometer, mixed up the water to 35ppt.

Circulated this mix for several hours with a 300gph pump. Tested clacium using an API test and got a reading of 400 PPM.

Tested for magnesium using a seachem kit and got a reading of 1125ppm.

Now I know that RC had some low calcium and Mag problems early last year but I understood that these were corrected. I was expecting a reading of 420 for calcium and 1260 for magnesium.

I am rather dissapointed with RC and don't see much benefit of paying $10 over the costs of Instant Ocean if these measurements continue. My last bucket of IO was testing out at 380 PPM, I did not run the mag test on the IO.

Anybody else having issues with RC?

Interestingly, there is a new reef crystals discussion on reef central

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

i just tested my alk at 13 dkh. i was wondering why it was so high then i tested magnesium and it was 1050ppm. im done with reef crystals now

i just tested my alk at 13 dkh. i was wondering why it was so high then i tested magnesium and it was 1050ppm. im done with reef crystals now

you may find that alk level drops some once mag levels raise to proper level....atleast that is what I found....alk 9.2dKH 1340ppm mag.