water storage question

trble81

What's a good way to store RO/DI water (with and without salt)? I was under the impression that using Brute plastic trash cans was good but I had seen some posts saying that chemicals from the plastic may leech into the water (because it wasn't intended to to be "food grade" storage). Is this true?

Also, if there's an alternative, where would be the best place to get it (it's pretty easy to find Brutes)? As far as how much water I intend on keeping on hold, I was looking at two 25 gallon containers (setting up the new 90 will have to be done in "parts" but maintaining the two tanks afterwards will be no problem with the above plan...I think).

As always, thanks in advance!

:cheers:

You can get a 32 gallon brute at Lowes , I just picked one up the other day and it was about $30 or so (i think) they also have a base unit that attaches to the bottom that has caster wheels to move it around. After you put a float valve in you will be able to keep the amount of water you are looking for

I guess it depends on the size of your tank also. I only burn about 10g per week max in topoff so I don't need to have that much in storage. I use a rubbermaid wrapping paper holder to store. It holds 10g of water plus it has a flat area near the bottom that is perfect for a bulkhead.

I got one of these with my RO system:

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/index....t&Itemid=26

They're not super cheap, there are probably better deals out there, but it was the perfect size for what I was looking for and I subsequently drilled it to add a ball valve for easy water removals.

http://reef.korff.org/pictures/Tank-In-WallProject/100_4762

:::blinking:::

We got a cheapo trash can... what kinds of chemicals are we talking about? Isn't plastic... well... plastic? Can we test for any of these alleged chemicals? :why:

what kinds of chemicals are we talking about?

A: Petroleum based chemicals mainly but the list could be quite long.

Isn't plastic... well... plastic?

A: No, there are many different types of plastic and not all are approved for use with food or potable water.

Can we test for any of these alleged chemicals?

A: Not with hobby test kits.

Product description for the Rubbermaid Brute Trash Cans:

"Industry leader in waste and material handling applications. Double-ribbed base increases stability and dragging capacity. Certified to NSF International Std. #2 and Std. #21. 2632/2637-88, 2643/2647-88, 2655/2657-88 are California State Fire Marshal (CSFM) approved when used as container/lid combo. Reinforced rims add strength and durability. Strong, snap-on lids are available for secure, stable stacking. USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines. All plastic construction will not rust, chip or peel; resists dents. Built-in handles allow easy, non-slip lifting and anti-jam nesting. Temperature range -40

I went to a restaunt supply store in PA and bought two food-grade 20gal trash cans....white made by continental HUSKEY w/ lids

Certified to NSF International Std. #2 for food refuse

Edited by kngfisher