How close is close?

FishWife

OK, so we're now into the great and real business of stocking corals. I love LPS's waving in the breeze, but we're concerned about chemical warfare between them and SPSs. In most TOTMs and other pictures of thriving tanks (like Chip's) I see corals all crowded in together. ALL my corals were pretty well jammed in in a holding tank as we switched tanks recently, for a full month. All SPS's were in one half, and all LPSs in the other...

Any insights on coral placement for the long haul?

With hard corals doesn't it have to do with how long the sweepers are?

Well there's physical warfare and then there's chemical warfare. As far as physical warfare goes it really does depend on the maximum length of sweeper tentacles. Just keep an eye on things and move items as necessary -- or be very vigilant and trim sweepers. Plus it very very much depends on the corals on question. I've had clams and ricordia right up against frogspawn with no problems. A gorgonia stalk though died in just a few hours.

As far as *chemical* warfare goes, you need to have the corals in two different water systems. I once had chemical warfare between i-don't-know-what and something-else-in-the-tank. Not a pretty sight. I've also had mass xenia meltdowns which may also be chemical warfare related.

Somebody did a study presented at MACNA where they put corals (SPS) at varius proximities and observed. Some grew faster with competition (winthin a 1" or 2"), some grew slower. So, depends on the coral as well. Confuse things more? :)

I would generally say space is best. 6-8" or so and allow frags to grow. But do I follow my own advice?

But do I follow my own advice?

These are the questions we must ask ourselves. :)

Really, look at pictures of any nice mature tanks. Stuff is CROWDED in. So, thanks for the advice above... any other pearls of wisdom? For instance, I think I'm noticing that it might work to put my LPSs lower in the tank and acros and other SPSs up higher????

... For instance, I think I'm noticing that it might work to put my LPSs lower in the tank and acros and other SPSs up higher????

Again, it depends on the corals. Best is knowing what corals you have, or plan to have and research their lighting requirements. Even within the same type (acros, lps etc..) some need intense light (move these to the top) some others less (mid level to bottom of tank). Just to confuse things a little bit more, take into consideration how high is you tank (from top of substrate to top of your rockwork) and what kind and wattage your lights are.

And to add to the confusion, I've seen studies that some softies reach photosynthetic inhibition at higher PAR levels than most SPS....

-R

Edited by lancer99

I've actually questioned my judgement lately on this but, IMO, it really depends on the growth rate of the actual type of coral and your attentiveness to that.

I recently became rather frustrated with my display tank when time was short and the days were really long.

Pieces that appeared to be safe, turned out to get tips burned or worse, totaly white from coral aggression.

Funny thing is those that I'm not as concerned with were able to grow into each other or over top of their neighbor with both coming out of it fine, while those that I really cared about seemed to burn 1/4" before actual contact with a neighbor.

I've actually questioned my judgement lately on this but, IMO, it really depends on the growth rate of the actual type of coral and your attentiveness to that.

I recently became rather frustrated with my display tank when time was short and the days were really long.

Pieces that appeared to be safe, turned out to get tips burned or worse, totaly white from coral aggression.

Funny thing is those that I'm not as concerned with were able to grow into each other or over top of their neighbor with both coming out of it fine, while those that I really cared about seemed to burn 1/4" before actual contact with a neighbor.

Chip that is good ole murphy rearing his ugly head. My favorite coral in my tank won't grow at all. and it is not very close to any others. The ones that I don't care so much about seem to grow like weeds. And what's even more interesting? The corals that I thought would benefit from more light and thus put up higher in the tank seem to be less colorful than the ones that I put lower in the tank, for lack of a better place to put them. Sometimes I find this hobby to be downright confusing...

Edited by madmax7774

I consider it one of the beauties of this hobby.

No two tanks are alike and a coral in my tank can look so different in someone elses tank.

Speaking of neighbors,

Over the next few days, if some guy is standing at your door with flowers for your neighbor, put down your differences and except them for them. It's just a nice thing to do and might help the situation with them blow over.

I can't tell you how many childish adults my drivers and myself run into in this situation who won't except flowers for their neighbor, even in a sympathy giving.

Be the adult here..... and make our Valentine's run smoother to boot.

370-390 deliveries in one day is hard enough as it is.

My next book will be about my experiences with the GP and running a flower shop on top of that.

Gauranteed to be a hoot after 30 years of compiling humorous situations.