Newfish's 30 Gallon

newfish

Here is what my tank looks like so far. It looks great.

The anemone picture would have been really good to enter into the January Contest but either way Enjoy.

There will more to come.

WithNewLights001.jpg

WithNewLights002.jpg

WithNewLights003.jpg

WithNewLights005.jpg

WithNewLights006.jpg

WithNewLights009.jpg

WithNewLights010.jpg

WithNewLights011.jpg

Edited by newfish

Alright darlin'....what is that blue hippo tang doing in there? You've been doing a great job asking questions on the forum, but I don't remember seeing this one come up.

He may be tiny now, but they don't call it a "hippo" for nothing. I've never considered myself the Tang Police, but with the limited LR and a fast growing messy fish, this will lead to problems that you just don't need.

Also, you need a clam person to chime in and give you some advice on yours. It's not looking very happy.

Tracy

Alright darlin'....what is that blue hippo tang doing in there? You've been doing a great job asking questions on the forum, but I don't remember seeing this one come up.

He may be tiny now, but they don't call it a "hippo" for nothing. I've never considered myself the Tang Police, but with the limited LR and a fast growing messy fish, this will lead to problems that you just don't need.

Also, you need a clam person to chime in and give you some advice on yours. It's not looking very happy.

Tracy

I Know that the tang will get big quick, I plan on eventually getting a bigger tank and if the tang outgrows the tank before I can get a new setup I will have to get rid of it. It is only like an inch right now maybe an inch and a half.

As far as the clam, I figured that it just hadnt opened all the way cause I just got it a little before I took the pics. It has opened up a little more since then but I dont think that it is open all the way. just waiting for it to settle down and waiting to find a good place for it.

I understand the concer with the Hippo tang and I am prepared to do what I need to if it gets out of control.

It seems to be doing great so far though so we will see how it does.

Just trying to be helpful, Josh. You've already experienced ich and adding a hippo is only likely to exacerbate the problem...let alone with limited rock, no skimmer, and a messy (yet sensitive, ich-prone) fish.

Things don't occur in isolation in a reef tank....problems build on themselves, and you may be building toward some big ones which I am trying to help you avoid.

Tracy

As far as the clam, I figured that it just hadnt opened all the way cause I just got it a little before I took the pics. It has opened up a little more since then but I dont think that it is open all the way. just waiting for it to settle down and waiting to find a good place for it.

No a clam expert here but that might just be the case.

...I will have to get rid of it.

I'm setting up a 96 soon...... :biggrin:

Looks like good work so far but consider Tracy's wisdom.

Edited by Larry Grenier

that clam still doesn't look happy, they like a lot of light so you may want to consider redoing your rockwork and putting the clam directly under your halide (thats what that is right??) Keep in mind that clams will quickly drain your calcium on a tank that small so if you want to see them happy and healthy you are going to need to either change your water more frequently or dose something. Also take my advice, get the hippo out now. As he grows and he will grow fast, he will add a lot of bio load to your tank and on a system that small with that little rock your setting yourself up for a crash (I speak from experience). Sell him and the fluvals and invest in a good hob skimmer and a little more rock, then work from there. You can always buy another one later on down the road when you have the space. Just my 2 cents

What is that white stuff under the clam? Hopefully it's not epoxied down! The mantle looks OK to me, but here are my concerns about the clam. Towards the "bottom right" the mantle appears to be not as full as in the other places. This appears to be a pinched mantle. Is there something that is bothering it there or has it been bothered by something before? Is the mantle damaged at that place? I'll list some other considerations for the health of the clam and judging how healthy it is.

• Mantle extension - it should be extended completely out of the shell, but it shouldn't be stretched way out. If it is stretched out too far, it's a sign of a problem.
  • Likewise, if it's not fully extended and remains partially inside the shell, or it's incompletely extended, such as yours, it may be indicative of some problems. Check for something bothering it such as a pyramid snail or some other predator. You can take a clam out of your tank and scrub it with a toothbrush on the shell to remove anything that is annoying it.
  • Byssal Area - check here to ensure that the byssal gland is extended and full. This is the area on the bottom of the clam where the shell curves apart to allow the clam to extend its "foot". It looks like this (). There should be some white flesh there that is nice and solid and it should be right in the byssal area. If it's sunken in or missing, the clam is a goner. You may also notice byssal threads here, they should not have ever been torn off, but may have been snipped leaving them hanging from there. This is what the clam uses to keep itself held down. This is also an important place to check for parasitic predators on the clam. Word of caution - don't poke or irritate the byssal. It's OK to touch it to test it out, but if you poke and prod it, you'll kill the clam.
  • Size of the Clam - juvenile clams are reliant on filter feeding while adult clams are more photosynthetic. When a clam such as a maxima, which yours appears to be based on the scutes, is in the neighborhood of 2.5" or less, then it's most likely depending on filter feeding. Once it's beyond this size, it relies on its zooxanthellae and is photosynthetic. Feeding helps, but not nearly as much. All clams, by the way, thrive on high nitrate levels. It's one of their basic foods that you and I can't see.
  • Shell Formation - although Barry Neigut (Clams Direct) says that the shell formation and placement don't make a difference, I think that a properly formed shell is important. If the shell forms and the clam is unable to fully retract and close it because it's too lopsided, then it becomes more susceptible to predators. If the shell is simply lopsided, not a big deal (not very attractive, though). Orient the clam properly so that it can extend the mantle towards the light without a problem and you should be able to avoid this problem.
  • Siphons - there are two siphons, the incurrent and the outcurrent. The incurrent siphon is the larger fringed slit at one end of the clam while the outcurrent is the small nozzle like hole at the other end. The incurrent siphon is typically one of the easiest things to look at as far as overall health of the clam. It should look like a zipper and should not be very widely opened. If it's rounded rather than looking like it's either closed or about to be closed, then it's gaping. Gaping is a sign of other problems with the clam's overall health.

Take a look at your clam and look at the area of the mantle where it is pinched. Is there something there? There could also be a bacterial or viral explanation for the pinching, but I'm definitely not to that level. It also might be that it's too close to the tank wall, can't tell, but is it touching the glass? I can basically tell when something is not right, but beyond removing predators, I'm not much help. One other concern that I think bears bringing up is what the white stuff is underneath the clam. I hope that it's not glued down, that's a big mistake to make with a clam. If it is, not sure if there's anything you can do to rectify that without damaging the clam.

Josh,

I've got a tank that's similar to yours (mine is a 35 gallon hex, but with all the crap in it it probably has no where near 35 gallons of water in it) set up right now. I've got ~40 lbs of good LR in it (and by "good" I mean covered in purple). I only have 2 clowns and 2 damsels (plus some snails and hermits). I don't intend on anything else in this tank (that's what my 90 gallon is for... currently under construction ;) )!

My advice to you:

1.) Check the boards and get some LR from some of the members (either find those who are selling it or post that you are looking to buy). More LR in your tank will only help you in the long run (even if you upgrade to a larger tank, you'll still use the rock).

2.) Purchasing fish that need a lot of room is a expensive thing. You may upgrade to a larger tank the next week but what if you don't. You'll stress the fish out, and that's when you get funky outbreaks (like ich). Also, you'll probably not make your money back if you have to sell it off because you can't house it any more (and god know that every dollar in this hobby is precious).

3.) I'm no clam expert. But I've been told that I shouldn't even consider a clam unless my tank is mature (+ 6 months in age).

Now, I'm no expert in this hobby. All the experience that I've gained is only from reading up on the subject, talking to seasoned vets on these boards, and by attending the meetings (a good way to talk to some of the superstars that we have here and a good way to listen to experts when they come to talk). Please don't feel like people are getting on your case. I can't tell you where I would be without the valuable help that I've received from these folks. Any tank has the potential of being real nice, it's how you go about getting there. Also, this hobby tends to pay off if you stick with it in the long run. There's nothing like a sting of unfortunate events to make for an early exit.

Best of luck and happy reefing!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updated Pics with some stuff that I picked Up from the Meeting and some other new stuff.

Superman Monti

NewCorals043.jpg

NewCorals044.jpg

Orange/Red Monti Digi?

NewCorals045.jpg

Frogspawn

NewCorals046.jpg

Orange Monti Cap

NewCorals047.jpg

NewCorals049.jpg

NewCorals051.jpg

NewCorals052.jpg

Coral Banded Shrimp

NewCorals058.jpg

NewCorals059.jpg

NewCorals060.jpg

NewCorals061.jpg

NewCorals066.jpg

NewCorals067.jpg

NewCorals068.jpg

NewCorals069.jpg

NewCorals070.jpg

Family Photo

NewCorals071.jpg

Edited by newfish

Your clam looks like it's on its last legs... is there something out of whack in your system parameters? I'd worry about why it looks like that. They typically will thrive in high nitrate systems as they eat them, so there's something else going on with your clam causing it to not open up. One of the best things you can do is to learn to read the signs of distress in your tank and take things slowly based upon the signals it is sending to you. One awesome example of this is Bendalat's aquarium. If you have ever seen his TOTM thread, you'll notice that he does not test his water, he looks at his corals and knows when something is amiss. Your clam's health is a sign that something is askew...

By the way, I'm far from being an expert on identification of SPS, but your Montipora looks like a M. undata, if it's got red and blue, bonus. Cool looking frag, who'd you get it from?

Your clam looks like it's on its last legs... is there something out of whack in your system parameters? I'd worry about why it looks like that. They typically will thrive in high nitrate systems as they eat them, so there's something else going on with your clam causing it to not open up. One of the best things you can do is to learn to read the signs of distress in your tank and take things slowly based upon the signals it is sending to you. One awesome example of this is Bendalat's aquarium. If you have ever seen his TOTM thread, you'll notice that he does not test his water, he looks at his corals and knows when something is amiss. Your clam's health is a sign that something is askew...

By the way, I'm far from being an expert on identification of SPS, but your Montipora looks like a M. undata, if it's got red and blue, bonus. Cool looking frag, who'd you get it from?

The pics of the clam was when I first got him and was trying to find a good location for him. He opens up fully now and seems to be doing really well I will Update those pics.

The new pics with it closed up is because anytime I go by the tank it closes up and I had been moving stuff around. It does open up fully

Edited by newfish

Well thats good news, but why does it close up for so long mine just kinda of flinch ? anyway Hope this helps and if you change your mind I'm always here to trade... I am running out of rooom as it is!

Hmmm not sure? Not an expert on clams:) Mine just look a lil bit more open but it doesn't look distressed as it did in the first picture... I hope its ok:)

Looks just fine. It'll also help to alleviate some of that green algae that's growing on your tank walls. How big is the clam? That'll impact how you need to feed it (photosynthesis or supplementation).

Looks just fine. It'll also help to alleviate some of that green algae that's growing on your tank walls. How big is the clam? That'll impact how you need to feed it (photosynthesis or supplementation).

The Clam Is only MAYBE 2". It was a smaller one that I got from BRK.

I don't remember what size they become more reliant on photosynthesis for a food source, but I think it's closer to 2.5", so I would suggest target feeding it either some DTs phytoplankton or some other type of food designed for filter feeders. When they are smaller their zooxanthellae are not properly developed and they cannot sustain themselves by using photosynthesis and rely heavily on filter feeding. Once they approach 2.5" or 3", if I am recalling correctly, they are able to forego target feeding and can sustain themselves.

I don't remember what size they become more reliant on photosynthesis for a food source, but I think it's closer to 2.5", so I would suggest target feeding it either some DTs phytoplankton or some other type of food designed for filter feeders. When they are smaller their zooxanthellae are not properly developed and they cannot sustain themselves by using photosynthesis and rely heavily on filter feeding. Once they approach 2.5" or 3", if I am recalling correctly, they are able to forego target feeding and can sustain themselves.

Currently it is getting a diet of DT's and a couple of small squirts of ?Arctopods? (I think) along with half a cube of marine cuisine for the other fish.

I know you just lost all your fish, but a comment on the hippo tang - he will grow from about 1.5" to 6" or 7" in 6-8 mos. At 1.5" he's the right size for that tank, any bigger and the tank is too small. Something to consider as you are thinking about restocking.

He did the right thing Brian. Josh traded the hippo with a zoo rock from Tracy. We have to give him good credit on that. Good job Josh.

He did the right thing Brian. Josh traded the hippo with a zoo rock from Tracy. We have to give him good credit on that. Good job Josh.

Actually, Unfortunately the Hippo was the first to go. She died the day that we were going to make the trade. :(

I don't plan on restocking it with the Hippo. Probably just another Mated pair of clowns, also probably a six line wrasse, and not sure what else I am going to get. Taking suggestions for the future :)

Thanks

Josh

Actually, Unfortunately the Hippo was the first to go. She died the day that we were going to make the trade. :(

I don't plan on restocking it with the Hippo. Probably just another Mated pair of clowns, also probably a six line wrasse, and not sure what else I am going to get. Taking suggestions for the future :)

Thanks

Josh

suggestions for the future: 10-30 lbs of live rock, a new skimmer, UV, ATO, 1-2 powerheads and a HOB refugium. Then add a fish

Edited by lletellier

suggestions for the future: 10-30 lbs of live rock, a new skimmer, UV, ATO, 1-2 powerheads and a HOB refugium. Then add a fish

Sorry, need to update my signature. I am working on getting another 15-20 pounds of LR, I have gotten a new skimmer that is working great and looking into the UV Sterilizer.