TEK T5 fixture VS TEK Retrofits

steveoutlaw

I'm trying to decide whether to have an open top on my tank and set a TEK fixture on it or to build a canopy and put the retrofits in it. It's going to be a 90g tank and my choices are to buy the TEK 6x54w fixture or to put 4x54w retrofits in and 2x110w VHO actinics. What do you think?

I'm trying to decide whether to have an open top on my tank and set a TEK fixture on it or to build a canopy and put the retrofits in it. It's going to be a 90g tank and my choices are to buy the TEK 6x54w fixture or to put 4x54w retrofits in and 2x110w VHO actinics. What do you think?

the fixture will get you set up faster, but the retrofit kit will give you more future flexibility - as well as better actinic supplementation since you can mix the vho and t5. how the setup looks is also much different. it's really personal choice.

I've got the Tek 8x54w fixture hanging over my 75 gallon tank. I like the fixture and the light output but the Tek is definately not the way to go if you're looking for more light the light of choice seems to be the ATI 6x54 powermodule. Retrofit is definately more adaptable, if you're going that direction do yourself a favor and get the IceCap retrofit setups, they are a little more expensive, like $60 for a four bulb setup, but run on IceCap ballasts so the bulbs are brighter.

If you can put together a hood that doesn't look bad I'd go with

4x54w retrofits in and 2x110w VHO actinics.

It seems to me that T5s are great for intense whites while the VHO is better for Actinic.

Edited by Larry Grenier

I have the 6 bulb retro. Then I switched out one of the ballasts for an Ice Cap ballast and added the Ice Cap reflectors. It looks great.

The only advantage I see for the fixture is it is easy. Take it out of the box and put it on top of the tank.

Brad

I think it also depends on how tall your canopy is. I had a 15" tall canopy on my old 180, so I knew I had to have a fixture. I personally wouldn't use a retro kit if the canopy is over 8" tall.

I personally like the new Current Sundial fixtures. They now have individual reflectors for each bulb, integrated timers, and the Sundial versions have the fans build into the back of the unit. They purposely made it this way so you can use inside a canopy. I don't like the Tek units because of the lack of fans. I have read too much info about the benefits of keeping the T5 bulbs cool to consider buying a fixture without fans.

Marine Depot has them on sale right now" http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.asp...product=CU01153

They only have it in the 4 bulb style right now though.

Current also has the Extreme "Pro" which also has individual reflectors now. They do have a 6 bulb version of this, but the fans are at the ends of the unit so I don't know if it would be good for inside a canopy http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=Current-T5

I think it also depends on how tall your canopy is. I had a 15" tall canopy on my old 180, so I knew I had to have a fixture. I personally wouldn't use a retro kit if the canopy is over 8" tall.

I don't understand that logic. Most 48" canopies I've seen are not long enough to mount a complete light fixture inside and retros are teh only option without modifying the canopy. If the canopy is large enough for fixture though, it is long enough for the retro kits and height requirements are the same for both.

I don't understand that logic. Most 48" canopies I've seen are not long enough to mount a complete light fixture inside and retros are teh only option without modifying the canopy. If the canopy is large enough for fixture though, it is long enough for the retro kits and height requirements are the same for both.

If I had put a retro kit inside my 15" tall canopy, the T5s bulbs would have been over 15" away from the top of the water. From what I had read, that was way too high up off the water, and would lose alot of PAR. I used a couple pieces of wood and screwed them inside the sides of the canopy for "step ups" which I rested my 72" Aquactinics fixture on, resulting in the fixture about 6-7" off the water. The Current fixture I linked has pretty small legs. It looks like it would fit inside most canopies I've seen.

So basically, if he has a canopy less then 8" or so, I would go retro. If taller, I'd go with a fixture or the bulbs will be too far off the water.

My point is that if you can mount the retro kits lower in a tall canopy, you can do the same with a fixture (provided the fixture will fit into the canopy).

Back to the topic though, fixtures are great if you are trying for a modern, high-tech look, if you need lighting over a tank that does not have a canopy or if you are not handy with wiring and don't trust someone else to wire up retro kits for you. I agree that retro kits allow for more flexibility and I think they are usually the better option if you are mounting T5 lights inside of a hood.

Same company - try 'ready fit' ... best of both worlds.

bob

Steve,

I just rewired my lighting system on my 90g with 3'x2' footprint to 3 sets of T5 Retrofit Kits and recommend them very highly.

BUT,

First time I saw the new ones shown at PA and for about $270 includes times and bulbs, not bad!

(edited)

I was able to find a 6x54w TEK fixture new in box for $330 shipped. I had to take it. I already have the legs so I think I'm just going to go with the fixture.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Edited by steveoutlaw