Thinking of this Nano setup, what do you guys think?

Freezerburn

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=435

NC_28g_HQI.jpg

I'm still in uncertian locations right now so the only way I can think to tame the itch for a reef will be a nano tank. Anyone have one of these or know someone that does?

They're supposed to be pretty good. Head over to www.nano-reef.com and you'll find many owners.

My only thought on it is that it has PC for lighting... if you can find a model with T5 might be better depending on what you'll be keeping in the tank.

My only thought on it is that it has PC for lighting... if you can find a model with T5 might be better depending on what you'll be keeping in the tank.

The PCs are only for actinics. Main lighting is a 150w DE MH system.

There are several owners/threads about them on nano-reef, as Brian mentioned. I haven't seen a bad review of them, but I haven't looked through all the threads either.

The PCs are only for actinics. Main lighting is a 150w DE MH system.

There are several owners/threads about them on nano-reef, as Brian mentioned. I haven't seen a bad review of them, but I haven't looked through all the threads either.

I just bought one for the same reason and fired it up last weekend. I think it is really nice for the price. I paid $550 for it with the new stand version included.

Only thing I was unhappy with is that the instructions were pretty limited. If you were new to reefing, it didn't begin to tell you enough to step it up and actually use it. Since you have experience, that should be no problem.

FN

Least you get an integrated hood this will greatly reduce evaporation you may need a chiller though if your home gets too warm during the summer months!

Curious to know about the potential for rusting inside the canopy. Is the side facing the tank completely sealed off? For just a little more, I'd also consider the Red Sea Max.

Curious to know about the potential for rusting inside the canopy. Is the side facing the tank completely sealed off? For just a little more, I'd also consider the Red Sea Max.

It is sealed off for fish, but has holes and 4 fans to let out the heat. It can't rust because it is all plastic.

It is sealed off for fish, but has holes and 4 fans to let out the heat. It can't rust because it is all plastic.

I was referring to the wiring, ballasts, and screws and such.

I was referring to the wiring, ballasts, and screws and such.

The screws are directly exposed. I assume they are stainless steel. The wiring is inside the plastic. There is a large external ballast that is hidden inside the stand.

Incidently, mine only has the 150 DE MH bulb. There are not actinics. Although it does have the 4 blue night lights as pictured. I also like the adjustable alternating flow feature. Pretty nice for a small tank.

I was looking to setup a small all-in-one tank in my bedroom for zoos and softies. I found a bunch of nanos with PC lighting and the HQI setups, but I was really looking for one with T5s built in. I have only been able to find the Red Sea Max. Are there any other options?

Sorry for the highjack.

And for what its worth Freezerburn, that nano looks like its the nicest I've come across.

I was told that the Red Sea max have PC lighting that is T5 size. So they call it T5 lighting. I am not sure this is true but is what I was told. I was interested in t5 also but couldn't find one so I got the JBJ 28 gallon.

FN

Have you seen this one? They have one set up at Marine Scene (no livestock, just a display) and it is pretty slick! Multiple lighting options too.

http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html

Tracy

Yeah, I came across that before. I didn't want an open top tank, to help avoid excess evaporation and fish jumping out. I actually already have one of the 150watt Coralife clamp on Halides, so it would be the cheaper way to go. Considering its going to be right next to my bed, I wanted it as simple as possible. I guess PCs are find for zoos and softies though. Just gotta make sure to hit up that yearly Hellolights $10 PC sale. Anybody know when this ususally comes around?

Yeah, I came across that before. I didn't want an open top tank, to help avoid excess evaporation and fish jumping out. I actually already have one of the 150watt Coralife clamp on Halides, so it would be the cheaper way to go. Considering its going to be right next to my bed, I wanted it as simple as possible. I guess PCs are find for zoos and softies though. Just gotta make sure to hit up that yearly Hellolights $10 PC sale. Anybody know when this ususally comes around?

It actually comes with a top, just not shown in the pics.

T

Solana looks very nice. How much do they cost?

FN

You might want to try googling it. Marine Scene is very pricey. You can see one there, but I wouldn't buy it there. Not knocking MS....I buy a lot of stuff there and they are great to deal with, just expensive for this sort of thing.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the biocube 29G and its good. I paid $250 with discount at superpets. The red sea cube for about the same size is better but cost more, approx. $800. The red sea has (and the oceanic biocube doesn't) a hinged hood, skimmer, ceramic filter, heater, 2 heads for better flow, and a couple other things.

It actually comes with a top, just not shown in the pics.

T

You might want to try googling it. Marine Scene is very pricey. You can see one there, but I wouldn't buy it there. Not knocking MS....I buy a lot of stuff there and they are great to deal with, just expensive for this sort of thing.

Tracy

haven't gotten anything yet, still shopping. My old equipment is being shipped up from florida in a few days.