Retrofit T5 for 125gal, 72" long tank

Tee

Hi,

I am thinking about building a canope for my 125gal. I am not sure what is the best way to retrofit the lighting in the canope. Should I use two line of 36" T5 lamps, or one line of 72" lamps.

Does anybody in the Springfield area have this canope with retrofit light that I can stop by and take a look, please PM me.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance,

Tee

Two line of 36" bulbs, or stagger 60" bulbs, or if the tank is 24" wide you could do up to 24-24" bulbs run front to back as opposed to side to side.

Garrett.

(edited)

Thanks a lot for the help. I think two lines of 36" it is then. What is the recomemdation space between each light? For a 24" deep, how many row of T5 can I use.

Thanks,

Tee

------------------------------------------------------------------

Two line of 36" bulbs, or stagger 60" bulbs, or if the tank is 24" wide you could do up to 24-24" bulbs run front to back as opposed to side to side.

Garrett.

Edited by Tee

interrupting here for a sec. The pre-made T-5 fixtures say on them to not use them under a canopy - is that only because they are in a fixture and there might be too much heat for a fixture in a closed space?

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

Humm, I am a little confuse here. You mean the put a whole fixture with multiple lamps under a canope? That's not what I want to do. I want o custom made 5 or 6 rows of T5 under my 72" canope. I wonder how people retrofit their 72" long canope with T5. Anybody? How many row of T5 can you put in a 24" deep canope? Six and no more?

Any other link to a DIY canope and retrofit light?

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showth...ighlight=canopy

Thanks

Tee

-------------------------------------------------------------

interrupting here for a sec. The pre-made T-5 fixtures say on them to not use them under a canopy - is that only because they are in a fixture and there might be too much heat for a fixture in a closed space?

Edited by Tee

I would think that you would be able to get at least 6 and possibly 8 under there, the two rows of 39 watt lamps would definately be the way to go. Get the icecap retrofit from www.reefgeek.com. Check the T5 Q & A thread on Reef Central for excellent information