Can you light a 48" tank with a 36" fixture?

steveoutlaw

My tank is going to be 48" (a 90 gallon) and I was considering using my 6x39w TEK T5 fixture on it. it's going to be a mixed reef with all of the SPS directly under the T5s and the LPS and softies will be around the sides.

I don't see why not. It's more of an aesthetic issue with the light fixture being shorter than the tank.

Wouldn't see why not. I used a 4' six bulb T5 light on my old 125gal. I grew plenty of stuff with the pattern you describe. Just had my shrooms and zoos on the perimeter.

I would say yes, about 36" of it.

Thanks Dan.......but what about the additional 6" on each side of the fixture. Will this get enough light for softies and LPS?

I think you should buy a 48" T5 fixture for your tank, and give me that old, junky 36" fixture ;)

:bb:

That might be an option, but I think that my definition of "give" isn't the same as yours! :clap:

all of the SPS directly under the T5s and the LPS and softies will be around the sides

I think you answered you own question :clap:

Asthetically, you'll hardly notice the 6" on each side not directly under the bulbs.

I'm also planning a mixed coral tank that will have more intense lighting directly over the SPS and I'm also a fan of using what you have to save a few bucks if you need to.

Edited by Larry Grenier

(edited)

I would keep the 36" fixture since it will be easier to just add another 36" fixture when you upgrade to a 72" tank. :clap:

You guys are killing me!! :lol2: But, I guess I brought this on myself.

Edited by steveoutlaw

I would keep the 36" fixture since it will be easier to just add another 36" fixture when you upgrade to a 72" tank. :clap:

There you go! Smart thinking!

you guys aren't helpin me out much here.... ;)

tell you what, if Steve gives me his 36" 6 bulb T-5s, you can have my 36" 4 bulb T-5s

I don't think you'll get any coverage on the sides. I don't have any experience with T5s, but I have seen the reflectors and they are designed to focus the light perpendicular to the bulbs rather than out to the sides where the end caps are. I would think that, theoretically, the light would not get to the sides except for the meager amounts that would refract over to the sides of the tank. You'll definitely get a "dark area" on the tank. Also, don't T5s basically shine straight down, hence their lack of "shimmer"? I would think that this again would be a drawback. Now, you could always bend your reflector in the middle so that the light went out a bit to the sides, but then you're ruining a good reflector. You could also raise the fixture, but then you're diminishing the light. Why not test it out by simply putting the light in the dark and seeing how far the light spreads when it's suspended over the floor the same height you intend to hang it above your tank?