WSSC water quality

ctenophore

Has anyone looked into what's in the city tap water up here? I ask because in FL, I didn't use any sort of water purification (RO/DI etc) on the well water that pulled straight from the aquifer. The groundwater has lots of calcium, which kills RO membranes and exhausts DI resins pretty quick. Nitrates were nonexistant, and phosphates, while detectable with a Merck/Deltec kit, never seemed to cause a problem in an established system.

I know it's common wisdom to use RO/DI in reefs, and certainly not something to skip when starting out or if a tank has nutrient issues, but I was wondering if any of you with established tanks are using tap water for evap replacement or water changes.

In FL, I could get a report from the state showing water testing results for the city water. I'm guessing the same is true up here? Has anyone done this?

I bring this up because of all the mention of RO/DI equipment lately. Of course, using tap water is probably a bad idea unless you have a strong grasp of nutrient handling within your system. That said, realize that one fish feeding probably contains more N and P than 50 gallons of tap water. The only reason to filter it down to 0 TDS is to remove the nasties like trace heavy metals, organic pollutants etc. which we assume to be present. If free nutrients aren't a problem and pollutants aren't either, why spend all the money to remove Ca and Mg just to add it back in?

Justin

I use a SpectraPure UHE RO/DI system with a silica buster resin in the last DI stage. UHE = Ultra high efficiency, their newest system.

My raw TDS is about 300-340 ppm.

I have obtained water reports fromn the local water authority in the past.

fab

Edited by fab

I posted yearly report for WSSC last summer, which is lost in pages and pages of posts. The tap water in Montgomery County from WSSC - NOT inconsideration of what is in the plumbing that goes between the plant and you! - is not horrible if you don't mind flouride and chlorine. It's more likely to be what stands between the water source and your house. Tap water where I live appears from my testing to have no nitrate or phosphate in it, but lord knows what IS in it.

The tap water has Flouride in it - I don't know how flouride affects the life in our aquariums, however sensitive people have been known to be diagnosed with flouride poisoning just from drinking tap water. The guy who got the govt onto mandating the addition of flouride to tap water, later retracted the suggestion but the addition of flouride continues.

Edited by treesprite

Cities are required to make their water analysis available to the public. Most post it online and some send it out in a newsletter at least once per year. Check the website for your city and post a copy/link here if you are able to locate it.

You are correct that the primary reason for using RO/DI is to remove the things we cannot or do not test for. Municipalities switching to chloramine or alternating between chloramine and chlorine is one concern. Old plumbing in city lines and older houses also adds lead, copper and other heavy metals to the water. Phosphates and nitrates tend to be a bigger issue than you might expect, right Dan and Jamal?

I used tap for a long time and continuously battled diatom and hair algae. This cleared up once I started using RO/DI. The cost of maintaining and using an RO/DI unit is worth it to me.

I used tap for a long time and continuously battled diatom and hair algae. This cleared up once I started using RO/DI. The cost of maintaining and using an RO/DI unit is worth it to me.

I agree with Bob about dealing with hair algae. A relative of ours who doesn't want to spend money on RODI water for her salt water tank, the biggest problem their tank have is hair algae amongst other things.

I agree with Bob about dealing with hair algae. A relative of ours who doesn't want to spend money on RODI water for her salt water tank, the biggest problem their tank have is hair algae amongst other things.

If you need to have your water quality tested, your local water authority should be able to do that for you as part of the service. I'm concerned with the chloramine level in our water and so Prince William county water authority will come out this Thurs to measure our water as it comes out of the tap and after the RODI so I can see if it's a need for me to concern or not.

I'm in howard county I use tap water directly in my tank(s) 60/70 gal FOWLR, 2.5 sofite tank, 47/56 gal softies/LPS tank

And you have no problem with hair algae and such? WOW. That must be nice.

And you have no problem with hair algae and such? WOW. That must be nice.

About 1.5 months after the tank first started up all my hair algae has dissapeared and almost %95-ish of my cyano is gone

I have always used tap water in both freshwater and saltwater tanks for years. Saltwater since the early 90's. I have never had an issue. I live in West Laurel, close to Jason. very close the the reservoir and water filtration plant for WSSC. I started using RO/DI 10 months ago for general improvement of the water, but I have not noticed that it has helped in any way. Still have the cyano...

My issue with tap water is that if I don't like drinking it I shouldn't force my creatures to live in it. Recently I lost my cheap water source so myxt equipment purchase should be an RO/DI unit (just trying to find something I can afford that will work well). I don't know yet if it's causing a problem or not because I just started resorting to it.