Can a fire shrimp die due to lowered salinity?

Guest Evelyn

Guest Evelyn

We usually get our saltwater from place A...but place A was not in the schedule and we were definitely due for a water change.

So, we decided to go to place B for saltwater because of availability.

The salinity of place B's water was 1.18 and place A is usually 1.24.

We did your water change (30 gallons for a 72 gallon tank) and noticed that Fred, our fire shrimp, didn't make it.

We checked the salinity of the tank this morning and it is at 1.2 now.

All our other parameters are okie dokie.

So, was his death due to the salinity difference?

Edited by Evelyn

It is entirely plausible. Inverts are more susceptible to low salinity than fish. It could have been the change in salinity, and not necessarily the low salinity that did him in. Again, inverts are more susceptible to fast changes in water chemistry than vertebrates. Hard to say which one, but everything else being the same I would bet that the water change was responsible for his demise.

BB

Guest Evelyn

Here's another thing...we also have 3 pepermints and 1 cleaner...why did Fred not make it and the others did? He's the biggest of all the shrimps.

Guest Evelyn

also did you bring the new water to temp before doing a water change

Yes we did...we used portable heaters and heating pads, then tested the temp with a thermometer...

We usually get our saltwater from place A...but place A was not in the schedule and we were definitely due for a water change.

So, we decided to go to place B for saltwater because of availability.

The salinity of place B's water was 1.18 and place A is usually 1.24.

We did your water change (30 gallons for a 72 gallon tank) and noticed that Fred, our fire shrimp, didn't make it.

We checked the salinity of the tank this morning and it is at 1.2 now.

All our other parameters are okie dokie.

So, was his death due to the salinity difference?

That's almost a 50% water change. Seems like a pretty big, sudden change.

I always measured water that I got from a store. Why? I once got plain RO/DI water when I thought I was getting saltwater. Imagine the salinity swing THAT could cause. Of course, now I make my own.

bob

Guest Evelyn

We do a 30 gallon water change weekly...and this past time, we were a little off schedule...

We plan on making our own water once we move into our new house next month...but this was a temporary solution...didn't want to lose any of the guys...oh well.

We do a 30 gallon water change weekly...and this past time, we were a little off schedule...

We plan on making our own water once we move into our new house next month...but this was a temporary solution...didn't want to lose any of the guys...oh well.

Well... I don't know what kind of filtration you have - live rock? Sandbed? Skimmer? But generally speaking, you don't need to change more than 10-20%/week to keep things happy. Of course, if you have none of the above - 30 gallons might be needed to reduce nitrates.

My fire shrimp has survived some fine swings in everything in my nano. With only 24-gallons, and being a newcomer to the hobby - I've had that water all over the spectrum. Right now, I'm guessing I need to clean the foam filter - green hair algae is starting to cover the plastic parts again.

So I can't say a fire shrimp is 'sensitive' - but maybe yours just wasn't all that healthy; or maybe he was OLD... :)

bob

With rocks and sand, I'd bet that is a 50% water change. I wouldn't do more than 10g at a time in a 72.

Yes a swing in SG like that could be the cause, but there could be other factors too: PH, ALK... IMHO Fred is a bit more delicate than the peppermints and skunks, but not much.