use flatworm exit

bcjm

My tank got infected lately. I want to use FWE before they are out of control. I have a 150G tank + a sump. I estimated I have about 150G of water total. I played around in a small container for a while to see how much FWE I need to use. I have a lot of mini serpent sea stars. I like to find a dosage that kills the FW but not the sea star. I put some in a 5G container with FW. Two drops FWE kill both in less than 30 minutes. A small drop makes them stressed but not dead for an hour. That means almost two drops for a gallon. The recommended dosage is 4 drops for 5 gallons but many people reported they need to use 2X recommended dosage.

Each bottle is 200 drops. I went ahead put in 190 drops which is much lower than my calculation but stronger than the recommended. To my surprise , FW started dying in 5-10 minutes (at least floating in the water column). Sea starts came out their hiding places. I used a net to catch all the FE in the water column. I siphoned out stressed sea stars. Did a 30G water change and use fresh active carbon. Corals and fish seem OK.

Will keep you posted.

Edited by bcjm

what i did was use a power head to blow them off the rocks as they were dieing and keep them suspended. The went in overflow and into a sock filter which i cleaned out every 10 min to keep the toxin to a minimal. worked like a charm

I used a turkey baster to blow them off the rock and I have the socks also. I did not see much in the socks. Maybe I don't have that many FW.

good info to have that it will kill the stars like that... something else to think about if I ever get flatworms

Everything back to normal. Did not lose any coral or fish. Product works well.

Glad to hear everything went well, your clowns are excited to see you next week!