my turn for bad luck

jamal

my female anthias are being dispatched one by one. i dont know what to do. i think one of the females may be turning into a male after several months of peaceful coexistence. this blows.

my female anthias are being dispatched one by one. i dont know what to do. i think one of the females may be turning into a male after several months of peaceful coexistence. this blows.

That is a shame Jamal

I don't know anything about the social world of anthias....

the important thing to understand is more than one male equals deaths. as they establish dominance females will be killed. i started with 9 and now i have 4 so that should give you an idea. they are more aggressive to each other than any other fish you could keep in the tank except certain fairy wrasses

Trying to understand...

You started with 9 including 2 males, one by one the males are beating the dominant female to death?

What breed?

no i started with 9 females. one became a male then 2 were killed and then 2 more. i had 5 for several months and now this. another of the females looks bad. i just checked. they are lyretail anthias

no i started with 9 females. one became a male then 2 were killed and then 2 more. i had 5 for several months and now this. another of the females looks bad. i just checked. they are lyretail anthias

I started with three females... the smallest was killed by the other two. Then the largest turned male. While he was still aggressive toward the other female, they eventually established a peaceful coexistence. The male has gotten huge. I was just thinking earlier that I need to tape a ruler to the tank and take his picture.

bob

thats the funny thing. they didnt show any aggression toward each other after order was established besides the normal corraling by the male. i feed twice a day. they already eat pellets. i was considering an autofeeder but all the good ones are expensive and all the cheap ones suck. if you know of a reasonably priced one that works well i may take that option. they are well fat and getting fatter not long every day. also the other female didnt look good but she has recovered so thats a relief. i hate losing livestock because i am killing these animals when they could have lived. i try to be responsible but i guess it happens sometimes.