Frag tank

Guest hound66

Guest hound66

I'm considering taking the leap into fragging, mainly because I can't afford right now to get a bigger tank and I have some corals that are going crazy. I'm thinking about using a 10g tank I have in storage as a starter for the frag tank, until I get a larger display, then I'll make the 29g into a frag tank. Anyway, other than lights, a tank, water, frag plugs and egg crate, what do I need? Do I need a filter or skimmer? What about live rock or sand for the biological filtration?

Thanks for the help.

I'm considering taking the leap into fragging, mainly because I can't afford right now to get a bigger tank and I have some corals that are going crazy. I'm thinking about using a 10g tank I have in storage as a starter for the frag tank, until I get a larger display, then I'll make the 29g into a frag tank. Anyway, other than lights, a tank, water, frag plugs and egg crate, what do I need? Do I need a filter or skimmer? What about live rock or sand for the biological filtration?

Thanks for the help.

Seems like most people plumb their frag tank into the main tank... share water, filtration, etc. Then you'd just need lights and water movement. If your corals are growing that well - you might want to use the same water for the frags. But I don't know how your 29 is set up... sump?

bob

hound, keep in mind that a frag tank is just a tank with frags...so it should have similar parameters as to any other reef tank. You will probably need a skimmer or other filtration.

HTH,

-R

Seems like most people plumb their frag tank into the main tank... share water, filtration, etc. Then you'd just need lights and water movement. If your corals are growing that well - you might want to use the same water for the frags. But I don't know how your 29 is set up... sump?

bob

hound, keep in mind that a frag tank is just a tank with frags...so it should have similar parameters as to any other reef tank. You will probably need a skimmer or other filtration.

HTH,

-R

Easy and good answers

Not to hijack the thread but what do people suggest for a frag tank if there isn't an old tank around to reuse. My initial thoughts are that something less tank like and more tray like would be good.

I look at Bendelat and his Rubbermaid tub which has nicer looking corals than many display tanks. Makes me wonder if some of those grey Rubbermaid trays about 24"x18"x4" deep that you see busboys use in restaurants use to clear dishes would work. They are shallow, cheap and indestructible.

Maybe that's too shallow but something like that would seem good since it allows more light penetration, doesn't add too much water to the system and doesn't take up much space. If you wanted you could set up some shelves and stack multiple fairly easily to have alot of space for frags. Also, rubbermaid is easier to drill than glass and cheaper to replace if you mess up.

Thoughts? Apologoies again for the hijack...