3 gallon Picotope

Oprah Wrangler

hey all,

The last post I had was about an overgrown starburst colony. Well, I have fragged my first coral and moved up in the hobby. So here are some pics and any suggestions or better yet any donations are very welcome. I have also updated my signature description of the aquarium and inhabitants. thanks ofr humoring me.

gallery_989_59_627482.jpg

gallery_989_59_299476.jpg

gallery_989_59_87762.jpg

Before the fragging

gallery_989_59_635614.jpg

After

gallery_989_59_320004.jpg

gallery_989_59_774791.jpg

gallery_989_59_552257.jpg

gallery_989_59_687859.jpg

gallery_989_59_32001.jpg

gallery_989_59_353113.jpg

gallery_989_59_272307.jpg

gallery_989_59_448658.jpg

This pic is old but I like it so here it is again

gallery_989_59_50707.jpg

Please take that poor clown out there. 3gal too small for him/her, look at getting a goby to put in

In any other case I would agree that the fish is miserable, however, the clown use to live in a 30 gallon and did miserably. When he was brought to this tank to recover and hopefully get back to health he flourished and has been doing great eversince. He has recently been trying to host my colony of yellow pollyps and to my understanding such behavior is not charecteristic of an unhappy specimen. I am inclined to say that this fish is an exception to the rule and likes his little bachelor pad. Every rule has an exception but I do appreciate your concern.

it's a cute little tank.

I was thinking the same thing about the clown, but we as observers of course haven't seen where or how the fish has lived and done in the past, and don't know the history that you know of it which seems to be adequate, so I will take your word for this very specific clown.

I just would like to make sure people know that this is a rare exception to a rule, not a practice that is ok for other clownfish.

I always wanted to get a 3 gallon picotope but I didn't want to mess with the low gallons of water evaporation rate. Anyway how big are your narisus snail.

it's a cute little tank.

I was thinking the same thing about the clown, but we as observers of course haven't seen where or how the fish has lived and done in the past, and don't know the history that you know of it which seems to be adequate, so I will take your word for this very specific clown.

I just would like to make sure people know that this is a rare exception to a rule, not a practice that is ok for other clownfish.

I agree. Basically, a general rule for planning can always have exceptions. But, exeptions have to be proven by experience. Since the clown is in the tank, and happy, he's fine. If you didn't have a tank and said you planned to get one, I would advise against it, too.

Please take that poor clown out there. 3gal too small for him/her, look at getting a goby to put in

said the same thing to me when i had a mated pair, that laid eggs underneath the bta i had in a three gallon.

let it go

I had a tomato in a 12g (now is in a 72g) and I don't think she ever left her anemone. When I moved to VA I moved her in a small gladware container with her nem. I don't think she even noticed. She was just playing in her nem all day long (it was a long day...24 hour drive straight).

the numbers should be meant as guidelines not rules, because tank dimensions, individuality, and aquascaping make a difference. A smaller tank with open rockscaping and plenty of niches to call home, may be better for a fish than a tank of the "recommended" size that has aquascaping that leaves less open space and less nice niches.

(edited)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I enjoy being a memeber of wamas and really enjoy all the help you have provided. I have just come into two new tanks and I will be doing seahorses in one and another nano reef in the other. I will start a thread when construction is underway and will keep you all posted. Thanks again for just being you.

*sigh* I miss my 2.5 gallon tank. Andre, your tank is looking fantastic! I've been wondering how it's been doing. It's been quite a while since we last saw an update.

Thanks a bunch for the compliment. I didnt think my little tank made any lasting impressions on this site. Your comments kinda make me feel like one of the big boys.

Edited by papabear24

Thanks everyone for the comments. I enjoy being a memeber of wamas and really enjoy all the help you have provided. I have just come into two new tanks and I will be doing seahorses in one and another nano reef in the other. I will start a thread when construction is underway and will keep you all posted. Thanks again for just being you.

Thanks a bunch for the compliment. I didnt think my little tank made any lasting impressions on this site. Your comments kinda make me feel like one of the big boys.

Every tank is it's own little world, and you pico is as unique and interesting as there is a story behind it and it's been thoughtfully put together and you've done planning around it, as opposed to someone just throwing a bunch of stuff in a little tank, because no matter how spectacular something appears, that's not all there is to these watery worlds we keep in our homes. Looking forward to seeing progress on the new tanks.

Neat tank! It's .5 gallons larger than the ones I used to do at school (one for the office, one that went off in a raffle). I had a small ocellaris clown in one that was a total runt. Unfortunately, the tank crashed rather quickly because of a salinity swing. It was a cool little tank, though. Have you thought about combining all of your threads for this tank and moving it to the dedicated tank forum? It has a happy home here, either way, so if you simply want to combine the threads, let me know and I'll combine them. Moving it is up to you, it belongs here, but could also belong there.