Is my clown fish lonely?

gmubeach

He keeps rubbing his fins on my mandrin goby. His mated pair(well almost) got electicuted when my heater got a nick in it and passed on I am going to try and remate him or her is there a way to sex them? Anyway I am ordering a new clown fish off of saltwaterfish.com! I hope it works cause its depressing to watch him/her try and play with a mandrin that just wants to eat all day!

I have had the clownfish for 3 months hes tiny like 2 inches I got him when he was barly 1 inch and the other one was one inch. The both got to 1.5 inches and hes/she has been alone for almost 1 month I didn't want to re-pair him/her until I was sure that he wouldn't kill the new one. Anyway They were the same juvinelle size when the other one was electircuted. Anyway hes still rubbing the mandrin is it possible that they've pair or would he re pair if a new one is intruduced

Any reason you chose to order the new clownfish online rather than buying from one of the many good LFS' in the area? (I use the word "good" so you'll know I'm not referring to any LFS with names that begin with the letter P.)

Cost? They want 21.99 at my local fish store they are 15.99 online... I'm on a group by so I am getting a few other things and shiping will be 5 doller? Would it be better to buy one in person is there a way to sex them??

Thats what I was thinking too. I named him nemo after the movie. I had a small mated pair before named onyx and mandrin but the crab got them:( Bob is the name of the mandrin dragonette. Anyway BOB seems more intreasted in food then anything else he eats like 100+ brine shimp/copods a day sillly dragonette.

Bob seems to be a common name on this site hes named after my uncle. Uncle Bob. Hes the second fish to be named Bob the first was a scooter blenny that died when my tank overheated... got a chiller now so that shouldn't happen

My word this is amazing to watch hes dusting the sand off the back of the mandrin The mandrin is plucking the glass for algee/copoods The clownfish is so adorable

My word this is amazing to watch hes dusting the sand off the back of the mandrin The mandrin is plucking the glass for algee/copoods The clownfish is so adorable

Id be interested in seeing a video of that

Cost? They want 21.99 at my local fish store they are 15.99 online... I'm on a group by so I am getting a few other things and shiping will be 5 doller? Would it be better to buy one in person is there a way to sex them??

You never know what you're going to get from online. Plus, you'll have to QT the new clownfish getting him online. Why not buy from BRK where the QT is already done and you know exactly what you're going to get?

Its a false perc. Anyway I think they have been ordered already:( It says 1-2 inches on the add so maybe I'll get lucky. Let me write the guy doing the group buy if he hasn't ordered yet I can probably change it.

You never know what you're going to get from online. Plus, you'll have to QT the new clownfish getting him online. Why not buy from BRK where the QT is already done and you know exactly what you're going to get?

It still needs to be quarentined (sp?) at least to give it a time to de-stress before putting it with a tank mate who's going to have an unknown response.

Thats what I was thinking too. I named him nemo after the movie. I had a small mated pair before named onyx and mandrin but the crab got them:( Bob is the name of the mandrin dragonette. Anyway BOB seems more intreasted in food then anything else he eats like 100+ brine shimp/copods a day sillly dragonette.

Bob seems to be a common name on this site hes named after my uncle. Uncle Bob. Hes the second fish to be named Bob the first was a scooter blenny that died when my tank overheated... got a chiller now so that shouldn't happen

What type of crab? Did he actually kill the fish? Or just was eating the dead fish?

bob

(edited)

Nope he actually killed the fish:( he was about the size of a half doller and he jumped off the ledge and grabbed the clownfish. I didn't see it eat the wrase:(

I had a mixture of redlegs, zebra, blue legged, and mixed hermits he was a redish brown hermit. I also had a nasty emerald crab. that I got out but it killed some softies.

Even the blue legs got to the size of a dime so I am worried/parniod. I have alot of live rock and its hard to find stuff once its in.

Edited by gmubeach

Alright I changed my group order! Now what local store would you recomend in VA to buy a captive bred OCCELARIS (false perc) It has to be around 1.5 inches any recomendations?

BRK carries captive bred ORA clowns and almost always has some in stock. Walleys had a lot of clowns in stock when I dropped by last week but I cannot say if they were CB or not. Cozy Clownfish carries clowns but I believe they are a mix of CB and WC. I can't speak for Marine Scene, Fins and Feathers, Aquarium One, or Scales (did I miss anyone?) but maybe someone local to them will jump in with an answer. Avoid any LFS in your area with a name that begins with "P".

I matched him up and hes happy again:) one problem though the guy sold me a cb clownfish it looks like a true perlucula though. I need to take pictures of them next to each other. They are diffrent colors. The old one is a orange and the new one is more of a yellow, but they aren't fighting so yea I guess I did good:)