Water, water everywhere....

lanman

Well, not everywhere... but about 5-10 gallons is in a place it shouldn't be this morning.

After having some troubles with my auto-topoff for the last few weeks on my 58; I re-did the whole thing on Friday evening. Seemed to be working quite well after that.

Unfortunately - the anti-siphon hose would occasionally spit out a few drops of water. I fixed that by putting the end of it over the edge of the tank, so it would spit it into the tank.

Fast forward to last night - apparently the heat from the lights softened the tube, so that it bent down and INTO the water. Next time the ATO ran, it started a siphon. Which filled up my topoff water bucket... and then over the sides, and down onto the floor. Got up this morning to only about 4" of water left in my sump. The rest of the contents of the sump are on the floor. Considering the topoff container was almost full (full Friday night), I figure it only absorbed about 2 gallons; and there are about 10 gallons missing from the sump.

Time to pull out the shop vac!

bob

Bob,

Can you put in a one way valve, so the water can go forward and not siphon back into the bucket.

KLee

Oh Bob....ack!!!

Thankfully the loss was from your sump and not the frag tank!!

Note to self: add big floor drain to dream fish-room plans. :)

BTW though, thanks for sharing. It's one of those things that people might not think about, and we can learn from mishaps like this!!!

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

I feel bad for you Bob.

Call me later as I might have an idea for you.

No problem... I've seen that basement with 4" of water in it. This is just a drop in the bucket, comparatively. Carpet over on that side of the room needed a good cleaning anyhow!

Now if you have auto-topoff ideas... what a pain in the arse they are.

bob

Bob - I just used a 1/2" check valve from Lowes and reduced it down to a JG fitting. that way I don't have to put an anti-syphon hose on it. You can see a pic of it here......it's that pretty thing on top of my ATO reservoir:

UnderneaththeStand.jpg

Why would the ATO be higher than the tank itself? Not sure why syphon would occur?

Dave

I would use an extension of pvp pipe to raise the return tube well above the water line. This allows a permanent air gap and avoids the inevitable failure of the check valve.

I did basically the same thing with tubing and it works like a charm

Why would the ATO be higher than the tank itself? Not sure why syphon would occur?

Dave

Weeeellll..... if the kalk reactor is lower than the water supply, you can siphon into the kalk reactor. If the water supply is lower than the kalk reactor, you can siphon into the water supply (but only a little kalk water). With the siphon break in there (of whatever type), neither of those happens. Unless you're stupid enough to let the hose on the siphon break fall into the tank, or onto the floor. I will use the high-tech fix for my problem. Black duct tape.

Steve - who made your ATO freshwater container for you? Did you have to special order it? Is there a backlog of orders? :) .. .. .. that has to be the ugliest check-valve I ever did see. But gotta hand it to you for figuring out how to step up and step down those hoses! I have enough trouble getting 1/2" down to 1/4".

bob

Hmmm... I've always setup ATO with the water add line ABOVE the top water line where water is being added to.

Dave

Steve - who made your ATO freshwater container for you? Did you have to special order it? Is there a backlog of orders? :) .. .. .. that has to be the ugliest check-valve I ever did see. But gotta hand it to you for figuring out how to step up and step down those hoses! I have enough trouble getting 1/2" down to 1/4".

bob

Bob - The trick here is the purple top......that's a special order. Oh sure, I could have gone with the current fad and gotten an orange top, but the purple top really sets you apart from the "wanna be" crowd! :clap:

I admit, it's ugly as sin......but all of the check valves I've found for the 1/4" tubing require the little plastic hose clamps to hold the tubing on.......I can't tell you how many times those failed. I'll stick with the ugliness.

Edited by steveoutlaw

I keep thinking about setting up an ATO but I am waiting for advice that won't lead to floods!

Bob,

You need to get a one way flow valve and put in between your 1/4" tube before the RO water goes into the Kalkwasser. I had the same thing happenned to me and that's how I stopped it from messing up my RO water.

I am sure Johnny has to carry one of those valves. It's a tiny small valve. Nothing huge like Steveoutlaw.

KLee

Get a T and on one part of the T put an airline check valve so that air can flow into the line, but nothing can flow out of it. This will break your siphon. That's what I do on my kalk stirrer to prevent it from siphoning all of the water into the tank right away.

Get a T and on one part of the T put an airline check valve so that air can flow into the line, but nothing can flow out of it. This will break your siphon. That's what I do on my kalk stirrer to prevent it from siphoning all of the water into the tank right away.

Yeah... I wouldn't need the long hose (serves the same purpose - the pump can't pump water all the way to where the top of the hose is, but air can flow down just fine).

While we are on the subject. Are there any tiny pumps that can handle a couple of feet of head? I had an aqua-lifter on there for quite a while, and it worked 'ok' - - but your average small powerhead (Rio 50, etc) just doesn't like to move water more than a foot above itself. So I end up with a much larger pump than I should need, just to get the water to flow out of the container, up through a bit of tubing, and back down into the kalk stirrer. It has to move water fast enough to do the topping off in the 3 minutes that the ATO will run before it decides it isn't working, and shuts itself down. [Which is not a bad thing - if the water WAS just getting poured out onto the floor, I'd rather it only do it for 3 minutes and stop.] I use an MJ-1200 to move water around in the fish room (water changes, etc.), and it is very good at moving water, even with 3-4 feet of rise. But talk about overkill when you only want to move a couple quarts of water every 3-4 hours.

Pump suggestions??

bob

My CA reactor uses a maxi-jet dialed way back, so I wouldn't say that it's overkill. That said, however, you can improve your aqualifter's abilities by plumbing your top off container at the bottom so that the water pressure is also pushing it through the aqualifter. This has really made my system run a whole lot smoother and the water is able to trickle through at a perfect rate for what I want to accomplish.

My CA reactor uses a maxi-jet dialed way back, so I wouldn't say that it's overkill. That said, however, you can improve your aqualifter's abilities by plumbing your top off container at the bottom so that the water pressure is also pushing it through the aqualifter. This has really made my system run a whole lot smoother and the water is able to trickle through at a perfect rate for what I want to accomplish.

Now there's an idea! Thanks!

bob