gmubeach's 24 gallon nano jbj delux

gallery_2631405_307_153874.jpgThis is a picture I shot of my tank...

Once again my photographic skills leave alot to be desired and I am working on the picture taking like angles lights and all that hope everyone enjoys these pics.

gallery_2631405_307_168296.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_88526.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_4711.jpg :cheers:

Edited by gmubeach

Yes I think so... its a little crowded though you can't find bob ie the mandrin goby he hides alot in the live rock and the clam is my favorite... anyway the chiller is in the tub now and it works!!!! which makes me suspect that it was a faulty heater that caused the spike of heat and not the chiller/summer temps... anyway we are doing lots more testing to make sure my chiller is working. I'd hate to loose my corals this may-augs

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_2631405_307_62472.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_173389.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_145037.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_70832.jpg

Can anyone look at my terrible pictures of the clownfish and tell me what kind they are? I know the one that is extremely blury is a deep orange and was sold to me as a false perc cb. The other was also sold to me as a false perc cb, but they look so diffrent are they really the same species.

Juvies can be a lighter color. Once it adjusts to your tank and gets on the same feeding regimen as the other, they'll be similar colors in no time.

How about a full tank shot? Looks nice and colorful! :)

Tracy

You can't see much in a full tank shot because of the way its set up, but that will be the next goal of crazy jbj nano cube. I am redoing the whole tank. I have ordered a 24 inch metal haldine/cf light the whole tank is only 18 inches wide so its going to be freakishly over sized. I have also ordered a fuge :) It should look nice when its all done. If you've never seen my tank its alot of live rock in a nano I had taken out like 30 pound of rock and now its half rock half water. Anyway its all for the mandrin dragonette hes awesome. I am going to remove the standard hood and save it for another project and then put the over sized light on. The refugeuim should fit on the right side and the corals will all have to be moved along with the rock. I am going to miss my cave/shelf with corals all over it. Most people designed their tanks to be a wall and you see one side of a wall. My original designed was to be a cave first and a place where I could grow excotic corals on top. Needless to say its semi flat and its hard to see everything from one picture. Problem number two as lance pointed out when he first saw it I have a single pusling xenia on the floor of the tank:) Not a very good use of space! Anyway It will look diffrent when its done. Hopefully I can get all my mushrooms/zoos fragged and moved in a timely fassion. I may put the new light on and just not turn on the metal haledine that way I don't have to move everything all at once. Its got seprate switches. Anyway this build did everything I wanted it to and more in that I grew a clam:) and I had a draggonette and I was very proud of both. Now the next phase can begin. First I have to hook up the chiller inline then look at the light and figure out how to mount it then move corals.

Its getting much brighter on the beach!

New tank with 24inch metal halide/compacts total watts 250 plus 65x2.

gallery_2631405_307_2360.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_122207.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_57310.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_77485.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_201172.jpg

Please include equip setup etc.... to make this thread educational. Share your experiences good and bad for those that will use this resource for their tank builds....

I started with a jbj delux and it just wasn't enough lights at 65watts or 130watts either way I had all my corals jumbled up under the light. So then I ordered a 250 watt metal haldine from aqua trader its working well but VERY poor customer service. Its also got 2 65 watt compact florescents... I ordered a 13X4X10inch refugium it came without directions and it was too big for the tank... so we cut some 1/2 inch tube and heat streatched it over the pump head and then super glued it into the return... The refugium is run on sunlight:) so no wasted power.... It has a uv sterlizer by current and a 100 watt heater. I had to upgrade the pump on the return for the nano it died after 2 years. I have a chiller that will be hoooked up in the warmer months as my room is really cold and then really hot... The jbj delux hood rusted out after a year so I had to replace the screws twice and you have to clean the fans by taking the hood apart. I had way too much live rock when I started too it was probably 3/4 of the tank... I've given away/ sold about 1/2 so I am down to about 3/8 live rock and about 3 inches sand.... anyway I wish there would of been the aquapod with metal halidine before when I ventured into nanos ... anyway I have a mandrin hes huge and eating well, the trick seems to be to keep the amount of live rock high and train them to eat alot of diffrent foods. I have had 3 mandrins over the years and none have died because of lack of food...

This tank has crashed once because of heat and once because of hermit crabs. I had one that was the size of a half dollar and ate EVERYTHING in the tank. Oh and I electricuted myself and my fish one time. The back of the nano was nicking the cords and then when I grabbed them and it shocked me until my arm and my body went bizzark....

My tank is now properly grounded! and the newest equiment item is a battery back up:)

Any other questions? Is this educatoinal enough or not what you meant:)

ALWAYS GROUND *@

WATCH Tempurature

I made the mistake of not thinking long term anyway its looking much better.

They came from dr mac in a frag pack and they have been growing away:) started out with a few heads and now I have hundreds! anyway I am trying to propogate them now you just can't cut off a piece they have to creep anyway hope your doing well with your tanks Troy

• 4 weeks later...

He is very happy, but space is limited now:) and I think I might have a calcuim problem:( it seems that my corals only look really good when I douse them with anything with calcium even if its purple up... anyway Everything is living and coexhisting:) I will take pictures tomorow after my gf brings the camera got lots of new stuff in the monstorousity

Don't know :) need to check them in the morning have a test kit, but didn't open it for this chemical addition... I just followed the steps on the bottle and put in a little bit of purple up...and my corals reacted well:) anyway Defenlty will check that all parematers as normal. Specific gravity is normal I did check that like I do every night:) I need to check everything before adding any more good call some times I get careless:)

gallery_2631405_307_149069.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_141909.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_113279.jpg

gallery_2631405_307_127429.jpg

New tank pictures...

The strangest thing happend though my blue clove polyp passed on something is feeding on it. It killed it off in one day. The clove polyp looked perfectly content yesterday and today its all shrilved and dead I am keeping it to see if it will resprout, but something is defenlty wrong

Nitrates 0

Phospates 0

Calcium 520

DK 11

Calcium is a little high, but I don't think thats the problem... I found small like blobs of jelly with little bits of brown goo inside. I had to use forcepts to pull them off. I am hopeing to have a recovery in that I moved the cloves and there are some rement cloves left in the orignal spot and a few on the older rock... but what are they... what could kill a coral in 1 day!

I defenlty got rid of my sps today:) I prefer something that I can frag and that grows faster guess I am impacient! Anyway it was obviolsy not working I had a 35$ coral slowly turn on one branch and said well thats way too much for me ripped out all the sps and they are sold! Anyway my clams are twice as wide as they were before I think the bali slimmer and purple digittat were doing something negative to them... anyway I am done for a while with sps! Wish me luck with my softies and lps!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Josh,

Get an RO/DI and also run carbon in a bag. Your water should be clear without any green algae on tank's wall within 1.5 - 2 weeks.

KLee

My name is Troy, Lee, Josh is newfish... I know its hard to keep up with names... anyway yes I use only RO/DO water, but I buy it and the reason that wall is green is I never scrape it... I leave it for the snails to munch on it, but I am looking for my own person ro/do machine doing research right now.... as for the bag of carbon I need to figure out if I have room for it!

Very nice tank. How are you keeping your Phosphates so low? I have trouble with mine. I cannot get mine below .003. i have been using phosban with my water changes.