Best Snail ID site

davelin315

I bought some nassarius snails from Dr. Mac and some of them are not nassarius. When I e-mailed them they said that they are probably safe to put in based on their observations, but I'm not willing to stick them in there without finding out what they are first. Anyone know of any sites out there that take a step by step approach to identification (something like spiral shell or not, go to this # question, etc)? I haven't found anything on them, although the peppermint snail on Mark Levenson's site is similar. I'll try and post some pictures as well if anyone can ID them.

I don't know, but if they gave you the wrong thing they should take them back either way.

Dave,

I did one of those "1 million snails for $5" buys off of e-bay. They said they were nassarius snails but they turned out to be Ilyanassa obsoleta. I was told to get them out of my tank pronto as they would eventually start taking out my other snails. I would not put them in the tank until you're sure what they are.

Steve

They have been separated already from the tank but are in the sump. My logic was that if they were disease carrying, everything that I got from Dr. Mac already had it since they are in their system, at least the snails did. I don't trust them to run wild, though, and won't, until I verify what they are. This will probably mean breaking out the digital microscope and taking some pictures, but I'm doing a million different things and haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Anyway I hope I don't have the bad kind mine look like narsius, but they are getting big like really big white with white shells anyway I don't know if I should take them out soon. Don't want them to eat my fish! Anyway they are about the size of quaters based on shell and half doller based on foot? Anyone know excatly how big these guys get or any other parameters they defenlty keep the sand bed clean though... lawn mower sharks!

gmu (apologies for hijacking your thread, dave),

I got some Tonga Nassarius from Blue Zoo Aquatics, and they are exactly the same shape/size/color as regular Nassarius, just 2 or 3 times bigger....like 1" shells. They seem to behave exactly as the smaller Nassarius...they move fast, but fish move more quickly, so probably not a problem!

-R