Help with ID of this red starfish.

Highland Reefer

When I recently bought this red starfish, they told me it was reef safe. Can anyone tell me which starfish this is and if it is reef safe. Also I want to add clams to my setup down the road?

Any info, is much appreciated.

When I recently bought this red starfish, they told me it was reef safe. Can anyone tell me which starfish this is and if it is reef safe. Also I want to add clams to my setup down the road?

Any info, is much appreciated.

I can't remember the name but I do believe that it is reef safe. I work at maru pets in Fredericksburg and we got some of those guys in a couple weeks ago. I did som research on them and from what i read they are reef safe.

Looks like some time of fromia sp... but I don't know much about their care.

Dave

Looks like some time of fromia sp... but I don't know much about their care.

Dave

I think your right. Once I had the genus to look for, I was able to do more searches. The one that I could find the closest match to was: Orange Marble Starfish - Fromia monilis. It seems to fit the description: it feeds on alage, which it did clean completely off one of my rocks (bubble agae left over). It has been moving all around my mushroom coral and hasn't touched them. I assume that I can add clams if it continues to behave itself.

I assume that I can add clams if it continues to behave itself.

My kids never raided the cookie jar until we filled it with cookies. :why:

:lol2:

i was going to say red fromia

That is really beautiful! I've always wanted to add a starfish to my tank. There's just something about a starfish that says "ocean", and they are so pretty.

Everything I've read says they are really hard to keep alive though, so I haven't done it. Eager to hear of people's experiences with these. Acclimation, supplemental feeding, success-rates, etc....

Tracy

my marble star just recently died. they are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters. a kalk overdose could kill this thing while everything else in your tank lives. i would say it is like the most challenging anemones in terms of water quality and stability. i didnt feed anything extra. it was growing so it must have been eating. i dont know if its a scavenging star like a serpent but it stays out a lot more. always around. acclimation is obviously very slow. i did 2 hrs of a slow drip. hth