Recipe for disaster?

lanman

So... I got a bunch of rock from Steve... which included an RBTA... which he could never get to move... which, of course - decided to wander my entire tank for three days, before settling on his new 'home'.

IMG_1384.jpg

Am I going to have to move him, or lose the monti cap? He's been there about 48 hours now, with no sign of damage to the coral. I know nothing about RBTA's, or their ability to 'sting' corals - just that I've heard they do.

bob

He's a tiny guy...

Mine keeps my purple cap from growing in his direction but hasn't killed him (but the purple cap is substational over a 14" in diameter).

Dave

Mine GBTA was down at the bottom of rock and one day to deicde to climb its way to the top, right next to a large colony of red monti cap. The GBTA grows larger and larger as the female maroon clownfish aggressively feeds it. It's now stinged half of the red monti cap. The stinged part only has white skeleton/stone left, no more red color. The red monti cap is about 12" in size with multiple layers. I just leave them alone as monti cap is a fast grower. When comes to Acro., it's time for me to move them quickly. :)

He's a tiny guy...

Mine keeps my purple cap from growing in his direction but hasn't killed him (but the purple cap is substational over a 14" in diameter).

Dave

This green cap is about 6-7" in diameter.

I guess I'll take a 'wait and see' attitude.

Meanwhile - can one of you anemone people tell me if that one looks happy and healthy? It seems very hungry now that it's stopped moving. But it spent some time in Steve's tank sitting in a bad spot - and he could never get it to move. (so much for the idea of pointing a powerhead at them to make them move) Looks to me like the best way to get them to move is to put them where you want them.

bob

Edited by lanman

No expert, but it does look bleached, which is not surprising if it was in a bad spot. Looks to be in the light now. Give it some food every few days and it should color back up (at least that's the wisdom I've read up on over at RC).

I rarely target feed mine (LTA, not BTA), but just grabbing several mysis with the reef tweezers and plopping them in the tentacles is easy enough to do until it gets its color back.

Cool!!!

T

<Large Sigh> ... there are only two corals in the whole 240-gallon tank, and the rbta decides to hide under one of them. I'll be trying to talk him into moving.

thanks,

bob

this is fun - you see the RBTA touching the cap here - it was melting the edges:

IMGP2739.jpg

So I moved it off to the left, and now it's still after it - I think the cap was giving it a little shade, which is misses now.

IMGP3252.jpg

Hmmm... so he's going to be THAT big with THAT long tentacles someday, eh? ... yeah - either he or the coral have to move... and the coral is heavily encrusted on there.

Thanks for the good pictures.

bob