Anyone know where to buy Dowflake?

DaveS

Guest Aurora

I haven't seen any DowFlakes at our local HD or Lowes up here in Maryland since I've been looking for MagFlakes. I think they stopped carrying the DowFlake brand. I picked up a bag of Calcium Chloride pellets of a different brand at Lowes in Frederick, MD 2-3 weeks ago. If you are also looking for MagFlakes, I picked up 4 bags for about $13 each from Laun Brothers Lumber in Baltimore today. They were going fast on MagFlakes because a contractor picked up a whole pallet of it when I was there. Open a phone book and call all your local lumbar/farm supply store. I'm sure you can track down someone who has them.

Edited by Aurora

Hmm well I guess follow up questions include:

1) Is Magflake the same for providing calcium?

2) If it isn't the Dowflake brand, what's a good way to ensure the stuff is reef safe?

Thanks all.

Hmm well I guess follow up questions include:

1) Is Magflake the same for providing calcium?

2) If it isn't the Dowflake brand, what's a good way to ensure the stuff is reef safe?

Thanks all.

1) Magflake provides magnesium.

2) You want calcium chloride only. One other alternative is "Prestone Driveway Heat". Comes in a jug. I've gotten it at Lowes, HD, Walmart. Check the chemistry forum at RC for other ideas. You can always order from buckeyefieldsupply or twopartsolution as well. I've used them both and they are both good vendors.

GL.

Garrett.

Been using the Prestone stuff for over 2.5 years now and never a problem. Great growth with the stuff. Per the RHF two-part reciepe, you use less of the the Prestone because it is more concentrated, only 2 cups to make 1 gallon of additive.

For Dow, two years ago is not now. They stopped removing most of the bromide from their calcium chloride products - the level is now MUCH higher.

http://www.reefwerks.com/media/August2005.pdf

That's why people like buckeye and gettanked advertise that they have 2005 Dowflake. The newer stuff can reach toxic levels of bromine/bromate over time.

I saw somewhere that Dow used to be able to sell the bromine, but the market just isn't worth the money and the bromine doesn't matter for the purposes they make the stuff for.

Here's a thread about what it means to reefers:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-c...still-safe.html

Oh, Prestone at least used to be repackaged Dow.

Edited by ArtC