DIY - Acrylic work

vaironman

Hello,

I would like to build my own acrylic refugium/sump. I can purchase the acrylic sheets from Home Depot or Lowes and cut them. My question is what type of glue should I be purchasing and where to purchase it?

Thanks,

KLee

From my understanding the acrylic at HD isnt good for making anything but baffles

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to make my own HOB fuge. I think lowes has acrylic that is appropraite for use in smaller fuges. Either wich way you want to use WELDON for your "glue" it's meant to bond acrylic.

I never found acrylic thick enough at HD or Lowes. I've ordered from www.tapplastics.com a few times and was happy with them. Use WeldOn 16 and WeldOn 3.

And if you haven't been there yet, www.melevsreef.com, is invaluable.

Guest webshout

Check out piedmont plastics in Hyattsville MD, 301-881-7900. It's up the road from the Costco on Rt. 1. I've gotten sheet remnants to make tops for tanks and baffles for my refugium. Thickness varies and you can find some good stuff. Warning: Take a close look at what you pick out. I got a sheet of bronze that I'm having trouble finding a project for. :why:

Good luck.

William

• 3 weeks later...

Weld-On #3 or #4

#3 is faster setting than #4, so #4 would give you a little more time to work with.

#16 is thick and comes in a tube. Its primary used for if you've got imperfections in your acrylic cuts and there are gaps/holes that are larger than a pin hole.

The best place to go for acrylic is Acme Plastics on General Dr (behind Marlo's) off Edsall Rd in Alexandria, they also sell Weld-on for it too. I agree, all plastic at Lowes or Homedepot is not good enough for a sump/refug.

Eric

Acme Plastics closed a few months ago.

WHAT?????

:cry:

I never found acrylic thick enough at HD or Lowes. I've ordered from www.tapplastics.com a few times and was happy with them. Use WeldOn 16 and WeldOn 3.

And if you haven't been there yet, www.melevsreef.com, is invaluable.

That tapplastics site is awesome. Thanks.