how to tell how much lifetime left in my metal halide bulb?

bk_market

I think the question was: can you tell by looking at a bulb how many hrs have been used up and how much live is left. Don't think so... If there is a way, I don't know it.

FYI new and non-members: we have 2 par meters for member use.

thanx Grav for clearing up my question.

Let say if I was given a used bulb. I never use the bulb before and I dont have a exact same new one so i have no idea to compare. But by looking at the bulb itself can i tell how much time it been running?

Example maybe overtime the bulb itself get cloudy inside with white dust???

thanx Grav for clearing up my question.

Let say if I was given a used bulb. I never use the bulb before and I dont have a exact same new one so i have no idea to compare. But by looking at the bulb itself can i tell how much time it been running?

Example maybe overtime the bulb itself get cloudy inside with white dust???

The cloudyness occurs pretty fast after the bulb burn in period, I would use a par meter.

I do not understand how a PAR meter helps to determine how much useful life is left in a metal halide.

What makes a metal halide bulb no longer useful is a shift in the power spectrum it emits, not the total amount of light energy it emits. I thought that PAR meters simply measure total emitted energy.

In order to know the distribution of power has shifted within the spectrum I would thing that you would have to have a device that measures the light energy coming from the lamp at different wavelengths. Does the PAR meter have a bank of wavelength specific filters to allow you to make such measurements?

fab