My new fuge at 2 weeks

Well, I got the new remote fuge set up a couple weeks ago (a 40 breeder)

I'm feeding it with the output of my carbon canister filter, about 200 gph.

I went with a CPR150 overflow box you can see on the right to drain it back into the sump.

My main goal is to grow caulerpa and gracilaria to feed el piggo, who ate a requetball sized chunk in about a half hour the other day. In 2 weeks I think I see some decent growth of both algaes.

Thanks to chefthomas for a big chunk of caulerpa to get me started.

tim

(No, I didn't spend much on the ghetto stand, grin)

gallery_696_10_146343.jpg

Here is a pic of el piggo:

gallery_696_6_49535.jpg

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

beautiful fish, she deserves it

(edited)

whats the kelvin of those bulbs?

These are the bulbs widely used in fuges that used to be available in Home Depot, but you have to get online now.

There are many links about these bulbs in fuges, here is one that is short and has many pics (melev): LINK

Compare the last pic to my pic :)

I got the 19W (85W equivalent) where Melev is using a 16W (75 W equivalent)

HERE is a link where you can buy them for $11. I think I found them for about $8. I could probably find a link for that. I figure these bulbs will last years. I probably won't replace them until they burn out. I went ahead and bought 6 anyway.

These are the bulbs widely used in fuges that used to be available in Home Depot, but you have to get online now.

There are many links about these bulbs in fuges, here is one that is short and has many pics (melev): LINK

Compare the last pic to my pic :)

I got the 19W (85W equivalent) where Melev is using a 16W (75 W equivalent)

HERE is a link where you can buy them for $11. I think I found them for about $8. I could probably find a link for that. I figure these bulbs will last years. I probably won't replace them until they burn out. I went ahead and bought 6 anyway.

Hah!! I got one in Home Depot last week! ONE being the operative word. They only had one... but I check every time I go in there. Which lately is a LOT.

bob

(edited)

Hah!! I got one in Home Depot last week! ONE being the operative word. They only had one... but I check every time I go in there. Which lately is a LOT.

bob

Heh, nice. I think if you really want to , you can get Home Depot to special order them, too.

Yours might have been a return or leftover from a special order

HERE is where I got mine...$8.67 each when you order 6 or more. $9.20 otherwise. Cheapest I could find. Shipping seemed reasonable, less than $10 for my order of 6.

tim

Heh, nice. I think if you really want to , you can get Home Depot to special order them, too.

Yours might have been a return or leftover from a special order

HERE is where I got mine...$8.67 each when you order 6 or more. $9.20 otherwise. Cheapest I could find. Shipping seemed reasonable, less than $10 for my order of 6.

tim

They had 4 of them today! I bought three. Now I'm ready for whatever I decide to do for a refugium for the new tank.

Wish my son would hurry up and give me that tank that 'looks like your frag tank' (30 long) that his wife's family has sitting somewhere. I think a 20 long would make a nice refugium.

bob

(edited)

$7.97 plus tax... no shipping.

bob

I went by my HD yesterday just to check it out...

They had some bulbs that were the right type (PC inside a floodlight shell with integrated reflector), and even higher wattage (23W, 120W equivalent I think), but the only ones they had right then were the wrong kelvin (2700 I think).

They did have some 5500K bulbs of the right wattage, but not in a floodlight shell with integrated reflector...maybe they were just out

tim

What's the difference between Mel's lights and any 5100 K spotlight with a long-life bulb that's garden variety at HD? We got two of the latter (and reflectors). Our cheato isn't growing very fast, but then, it never has in our system. It's dark green and holding steady, but not growing as others describe.

Edited by FishWife

Just like MH and T5 bulbs, CF bulbs from different manufacturers can have higher or lower PAR values and this will affect macro algae growth.

You may try increasing or decreasing your fuge lighting cycle. Too short of a photo period and and it will grow slowly but lighting the fuge 24x7 will end up with the same results (learned from experience!). You may also be low on one or more of the nutrients that plants need to thrive (e.g. nitrates).

(edited)

I found ones similar at WalMart in Leesburg and the chaeto growth I saw was incredible.

Been running mine 12 on/ 12 off and it seems to be growing well (caulerpa and gracilaria)

I recall someone saying they liked the bulbs with integrated reflectors better than the big metal reflectors because the latter have a tendancy to cause the bulb to overheat and shut down.

tim

Yeah, I removed the metal reflectors from the lamp clamps I'm using over my fuge. No need trapping the heat around the bulb when it already has a built in reflector.