Jason the filter freak's 47 column reef tank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the large female is now swimming in and out of the bigg condy in the tank, the condy doesn't look too happy but I think it'll adjust right... or am I completely wrong? the tentacles have become smaller and a little darker in color... I'm fine with her hosting there as long as it won't kill the clown or the condy and I could give a darn about having a BTA in the tank.

On another not my SG is 1.023 in the tank at the moment and I had been shooting for a bit closer to 1.025 whats the safest way to up the sg that tiny bit?

Bring up your salinity slowly. Generally speaking you can drop your salinity fairly quickly, but you want to take your time raising it back up. I would mix up some slightly saline top off and use that to raise the salinity over the course of a week.

Garrett.

Well this is just great. I come home and the anem (which I'm still unsure of the type) moved up with in stining range of the condy I had in there. The condy wich is easily a foot across at the tenticals when open is completely shrunk down and there is some slime around it. The other anem seems happy as can be in its new spot, and my clowns have resumed hiding at the bottom of my tank... what should I do about the anems. The condy was very well routed for about 2 weeks now. I'd hate to have to move it but i don't think there is much choice is tehre?

I hate to say this, but didn't I read somewhere that you can't have two types of anems in one tank? Anyone else think this might be true?

I hate to say this, but didn't I read somewhere that you can't have two types of anems in one tank? Anyone else think this might be true?

I've had 5 different anemones in one tank before. All were doing well. I have 3 different ones in my 92gal right now. A LARGE Riteri, green-purple LTA, and several RBTAs. Again, all doing quite well. I'm about to add another one as well. As long as your water quality is good, thhe should be fine. Once my new waterproof camera I got today is fully charged, I'll be starting a new tank thread myself to show everyone.

Great to know! Hmmm. What shall I add to my new 175g when it's a fully operational battle station?

• 3 weeks later...

There has been much development on this tank since I last updated the thread I'll have to add. Among other things

Clown feeding nem

Sterilizer added

Scwd added

Corals added

Ato some what added

jason word of caution about the lion. once they are trained to eat from the surface or near surface, they also tend to recognize your hand near the surface and lunge for food. this = spines in your arm or hand. very painful.

it is better to get a good thick set of coral gloves and get used to using them 24/7 for maintenance in the tank, not to mention itll give you some protection from the clowns if/when they start copping an attitude.

lions tend to love belly rubs as well, that also leads to issues, last 17" i moved we couldnt access the tank at all without using a plexi shield to separate him from us. he was too "friendly" due to the owners constant attention. Those lionfish owners with better maintenance and glove usage generally dont have those issues as much as the gloves let them know its not play time.

I use them with bigger puffers as well, as they can take fingers off

(edited)

I use a baster filled with water to ward off the lion it works quite well.

I now have a fuge installed.... though quite empty! How long should I leave the light on? All the time or reverse to the main tank? Also what do most people stock their fuges with aside from cheato?

The last fish I plan on adding to this tank will be a large spot blenny then be done. I want to let a little more algea grow before I get one though. I have had no luck what so ever `getting coralline to grow in my tank. I seeded with live rock and have added buffer and purple up... the purple up is daily for the last 3 weeks plus the sand is calcite and the rock is pretty much calcium enriched too.... what gives?

Great news all my hair algae mysteriously disappeared and the cyano *knock on wood* is abated for the most part too.

Also my equipment list has been updated.

Edited by jason the filter freak

yea lawnmower or spot blenny, I haven't seen a big enough one at an LFS to satisfy me in terms of size.

any answerers for my other questions?

re: the refugium

I just have a small amount of "grunge" from the LFS. They call it live sand, but it was basically chunky gunk filled with all sorts of shells and creatures. Also a smattering of rock rubble and chaeto. That's it for mine.

Tracy

• 5 weeks later...

Just got my fuge stocked with cheato! Props for Rick "Wreck" for the hook up! I'm also finally starting to get coraline growth and have added a few more corals. I'll also have my ato system hooked up soon! Everything is looking good. I'm behind on my water change but it's still doing well.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Just did a water change yesterday, and tested the water today.

aaand the results are:

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: less than/equal to 10

Alkalinity: 11.2 DKH

but I'm not quite understanding the DKH so....is a reading of 11.2 good, acceptable, or terrible?? What should it be at?

(posted by mexicanjavafish :))

Edited by jason the filter freak