Tall Tanks

Connor

i have a question about taller tanks. I was looking at a 105 gallon tank that has dimensions of 36h x 24w x28d 1/2. I was just wondering if this would limit the swimming room of fish such as tangs.

Thanks,

Connor

i have a question about taller tanks. I was looking at a 105 gallon tank that has dimensions of 36h x 24w x28d 1/2. I was just wondering if this would limit the swimming room of fish such as tangs.

Thanks,

Connor

Odd shape... how long are your arms? :)

bob

I remember reading somewhere, probably on wetwebmedia.com, that most Tang prefers to have long type of tank instead of tall, not the type of up and down. They probably will feel cramp if you have two or more.

not long enough. :biggrin: Im goin to have to do some more research on it because one of the main reasons i wanted to get a bigger tank is so i could get some tangs. It makes sence though cause most fish dont spend all of their time swimming up and down. Off to do some more research.

Thanks,

Connor

Connor, I have a 150 gal and several tangs. It is about 5 feet long. The one thing I dont like about my tank is it is 30 inches deep. It is a pain in the butt working at that depth. You have to drag out a pair of tongs to do just about any work in the lower third of the tank. (Thus the comment made about "how long are your arms.") The depth of a tank is a consideration only from an ease of working/maintaining. It has become a major consideration for me. Bob

i know that it might be a problem having a tank that deep but im not as worried about that. I'm more concerned about how it will affect my stocking ideas. Any ways its more of an excuss to my parents to work on my tank :lol2:

Connor

if i could put in a scopas tang, blue hippo tang, and powder blue tang then that would be ok and i could just make the rest smaller fish. i could also do the blue hippo tang or the powder blue tang. Its not the end of the world if i cant get both of them .

Thanks

Connor

if i could put in a scopas tang, blue hippo tang, and powder blue tang then that would be ok

Not a good idea they need left to right swimming room

I have a tank thats 18Lx20WX30+Tall and it's a pain to get to the bottom, looks great though

Thanks,

Connor

if i could put in a scopas tang, blue hippo tang, and powder blue tang then that would be ok and i could just make the rest smaller fish. i could also do the blue hippo tang or the powder blue tang. Its not the end of the world if i cant get both of them .

Thanks

Connor

Your tank dimensions are only 24" x 28". No offense, but I don't think it would be responsible to put any tangs in a tank of that size. The hippo and the powder blue could each get to be close to 12" in length, and they aren't like lion fish that like to hover around in one place. Tangs need room to swim.

I would keep working on your mom to get a longer tank if you have your heart set on tangs. Otherwise you need to look at other stocking options. Plenty of cool fish you could fit in a tank that size. Would be cool to come up with a stocking list with the goal of finding different fish to occupy different zones in the tank (bottom, middle, and top - maybe a hawkfish or other fish that likes to perch up high).

wow i felll really stupid, its actually 36" long, 24" wide and 28" deep. i was thinking deep in terms of back to front instead of top to bottom. :lol:. I think this is what the seller actually meant in terms of size. Sorry

Connor

Edited by Connor

wow i felll really stupid, its actually 36" long, 24" wide and 28" deep. i was thinking deep in terms of back to front instead of top to bottom. :lol:. I think this is what the seller actually meant in terms of size. Sorry

Connor

That's sounds a lot better. Could probably put one of the smaller tangs in there (yellow, kole, tomini). But surely you can convince your mother to go for one more foot! It's only 12 little inches. :)

The thing is my basement isnt exactly huge so my mom gave me a designated spot for my aquariums and if it doesnt fit in that spot then i cant get it. My mom uses our basement for a gym and a family room so i cant take up any of her and my dads work out room. This tank would fit in my aquarium area and allow me to keep my 29 up and running. So this is a pretty good fit for, me I think.

Connor