What is the time limitation to reverse a pay pal charge

I bought an item from some on on RC I've never been messed over before, but it's been almost two weeks since the guy claimed he shipped it. He has been responding to my pms and trying to work it out but I'm getting worried. Advice?

Here's the PMs thus far:

HIM Time is some time today

I will go talk to them and see what the deal is. I really don't know what the deal is. Its frustrating to me too.

quote:ME wrote on 11/14/2007 03:49 AM:

I still have not received the package, can you please get in contact with UPS and find out what is going on or provide me with a valid tracking number? If I don't get a response soon, I am going to have Pay Pal reverse the charges, I don't want any hard feelings but I think 2 weeks should have been plenty of time for the package to be delivered

quote:

HIM wrote on 11/10/2007 10:38 AM:

USPS said it would take 3-7 days. Should be there in the next few days. Don't know why its taking so long

quote:

ME wrote on 11/10/2007 06:30 AM:

I still have not received my item, whats the story?

HIM wrote on 11/04/2007 10:14 PM:

The only thing I have on the receipt is 1000601034373. I don't know if thats the tracking number or not. I sent it out friday afternoon around 3 o clock so I'm assuming it would be in your hands by thursday or friday.

ME wrote on 11/04/2007 11:51 PM:

Do you have a tracking number for me?

HIM wrote on 11/02/2007 12:30 AM:

Brandon, I just received your paypal. Thanks. I will send it out tomorrow to 9--- S-----e Ct. Laurel, MD 20723. This is address is correct?

ME wrote on 11/01/2007 06:39 AM:

I only have -- in my pay pal account, and it won't let me add my new credit card for what ever reason. If you can accept that I'll take it if not, thanks I appreciate the response.

HIM wrote on 11/01/2007 12:45 AM:

Make it -- shipped. Yeah it is the turbo twist

ME wrote on 11/01/2007 04:51 AM:

is the coralife the turbo twist? is -- including shipping (I'm in MD)?

Thanks

Any advice here?

Don't put your address out on a public board. :) BB

PS I have selectively deleted parts of your address so that it is less useful.

Edited by BeltwayBandit

Handle simple things simply. Don't rush to panic. I've had these kinds of problems happen to me as a seller. UPS does lose packages. You can request the seller initiate a trace via UPS. That will put him in touch with UPS and will help him figure out the tracking number with them.

Just ask the guy to call you and talk on the phone. If you can't get him to call you then you have a problem. Do try to work it out with him. Fear and hostility will get you nowhere with internet purchases.

You can also request that he refund you the money. Just tell him you can't wait any longer. He has the problem that he has supposedly shipped product to you, so he won't want to refund. But just asking him may spur him to more action. Later, tell him you may have to file a PayPal dispute. You can look on PayPal to find the answer to your question about how long you have to file. It's not a short time like a couple of weeks, it is much longer, but check it yourself on PayPal's website.

Also, try UPS yourself at www.ups.com. Their tracking numbers start with "1z" so what you have isn't quite right, but UPS may be able to help you. Ask him to work through UPS. He is the shipper and UPS prefers to work with the person who paid them for the shipping.

fab

HIM wrote on 11/10/2007 10:38 AM:

USPS said it would take 3-7 days.

He mentions USPS, not UPS and that does look like a USPS tracking number. USPS tracking numbers are useless unless the package is certified or registered and USPS will tell you that while the norm is 3-7 working days, it can take up to 30 days for a package to arrive.

Label/Receipt Number: 1000 6010 3437 3

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site.

well thats freaking spectacular

I can't remember for sure but I seem to remember that USPS will tell you that the tracking number doesn't exist until the package is in the system. Once it's shipped though, I know they do not update the status until well after the package is delivered--if at all. I would wait a few more days.

You do have a bit of time so like Fab said, let not panic yet. If by end of the month you still have not gotten it. Ask for a refund then. If he refuse or don't reply back, then you can dispute it through paypal.

I have been lucky so far with my purchases on RC. Even so I do get a bit nervous buying things from people online whom I don't know.

James

I can't remember for sure but I seem to remember that USPS will tell you that the tracking number doesn't exist until the package is in the system. Once it's shipped though, I know they do not update the status until well after the package is delivered--if at all. I would wait a few more days.

Confirm on Bob's point here. Many times happen to me with USPS shipping. Just be a little patience if the package shows up in USPS system as received at their end. It won't update its database again until shipped item has been delivered to your door.

You think so? Try waiting for a package to arrive in Germany after going through the USPS and the military postal service. Some items arrive in two days, others take 6 weeks. I mailed a mortgage payment to the states one time and it took 5 weeks to arrive. Needless to say it was late and I got hit with a $56 late payment fee. I switched over to electronic payments after that fiasco!

I rarely pay extra fees for USPS expedited shipping. If the choice is between USPS ground and UPS or FedEx though, it's worth a few extra bucks.