mushrooms

treesprite

so, how do mushrooms and zoas become more than one? Do they just sprout up on their own? I would love to see both of them spread themselves around!

zoos grow new polyps , the bottom of all of the polyps grow into a common "mat" if you look close at the bottom of them you can see the mat/tissue "encrusting" what every they are on.

Edited by Nitro Junkie

Sprite....... I have been reading the most outrageous stuff about mushrooms on various sites. It seems they are fool proof. (or so they say) There are a group of people doing experiments using blenders to make mushroom smoothies, dumping them into buckets w/ rubble and waiting weeks and then growing out the resulting polyps that form. I have also read about people using the old "vegamatic" and just chopping, stirring the results in water and dumping on rubble in a tupperware container. This does not hold true for any of the ricordias.

Zoos it seems love to be cut and glued and grow faster the more they are cut. Scalpel and razor blades are the best. I have several mixed zoa rocks and I prefer single color per rock. I have found that if I knock off a single polyp by hand or fingernail and put "him" with a piece of rubble in a shot glass he will attach and multiply.

If the rubble is really small you can then glue it to a larger rock.

Playing with zoas and shrooms are fun because they are low cost and one of the easier corals to grow. You might look @ www.club-zoa.com Good Luck Have fun.

"The other Bob"/ with tank envy......

thanks, I'll look at that site. I can't imagine putting a shroom in a blender. How long does it generally take for one to really look like a shroom after blending? (Not like I'm planning on doing it, but....)

Forrest,

Once the shroom is firmly attached, take a scissors and cut it off (but leave a little bit of a nub from the stem on the rock). Put the original mushroom somewhere new to attach itself, and the old nub will eventually form into a brand new shroom.

Repeat as desired. :)

Tracy

Forrest,

Once the shroom is firmly attached, take a scissors and cut it off (but leave a little bit of a nub from the stem on the rock). Put the original mushroom somewhere new to attach itself, and the old nub will eventually form into a brand new shroom.

Repeat as desired. :)

Tracy

Can't get enough? AFTER you cut the head off, take your kitchen scissors and cut the head into halves, quarters, or pie-slices, keeping a bit of the center with each piece. Put the results in a cut-down yogurt container with smashed rocks, and put bridal veil netting over the top (with the BIG holes in the netting for water flow - i.e. bride that doesn't want to completely hide her face). You can also use a paper punch or something to put some holes in the plastic container for better water movement. Leave it under moderate-low light for a few days, and most of the pieces will be attached, and well on their way to becoming mushrooms again.

And in answer to the unspoken question - YES, I DID get some funny looks when I told the sales clerk that I LOVED the bridal veil netting with the big holes in it, and bought a yard.

I intend to try this with a ricordia fiji, as soon as I have enough space for another 'cup' in the frag tank.

((oh - did anyone mention that it will probably reproduce within a few weeks, anyhow?))

bob

Edited by lanman

I'm going to be stupid here.... how do they reproduce? I have this one little one from Seantadez that is attatched inside half a small clam shell; it was very tiny but has grown some, but there are no new ones sprouting anywhere.

I'm trying to picture the wedding veil....

Edited by treesprite

I'm going to be stupid here.... how do they reproduce? I have this one little one from Seantadez that is attatched inside half a small clam shell; it was very tiny but has grown some, but there are no new ones sprouting anywhere.

I think there are different ways. My green ones split, my red ones just drop babies, the blue purple ones seem to just grow a baby underneath and then move over. I do know that if you cut any them, they will regenerate themselves if you leave enough of a nub behind.

Staz gave me a hunk of one of her green fuzzy mushrooms at the meeting. I opened the bag when I got home and it stunk like death! The shroom looked like a goner for sure. I sloughed off all of the slimey dead parts, and stuck it in a hole iin the rock n the nano. I was worried for a few days, but there was still a hint of bright green, so I knew it wasn't total death. It shrunk up pretty small, but as of yesterday has started to peek out and extend a bit.

Mushrooms have amazing regenerative abilities!!!

The bridal veil is just one way of securing the shroom to a rock so it doesn't float all around the tank. You put it over the shroom and a piece of rock rubble, and wrap it with a rubberband underneath. Once the mushroom is attached, you remove the mesh.

Tracy

Just don't try to picture me wearing one!

Use this picture instead....

IMG_1012.jpg

Now ... picture rubble rock in the bucket, and little pieces of mushroom not being able to float OUT of the bucket because of the bridal veil netting.

How do they reproduce. By fission, I guess. New little mushrooms just pop up at the base of the other one; and quite often, they then let loose, and float around the tank until they find a place they like. I have a green 'fuzzy' mushroom that splits itself. Grows a 2nd 'foot', then self-divides over the course of a few days. Just be patient - if you got a baby to start with, he has to grow up before he will make babies.

bob

. I have a green 'fuzzy' mushroom that splits itself. Grows a 2nd 'foot', then self-divides over the course of a few days. Just be patient - if you got a baby to start with, he has to grow up before he will make babies.

Bob,

Funny, my splitters are the green fuzzy ones too!

I wish the blue/purple one on the WAMAS rock would do something. I LOVE it, and it gets lost under the Kenya tree and green shrooms. I am seriously thinking of lopping it off, hoping it will grow back on the rock, and I can put this one somewhere more prominant. Maybe this weekend. :)

Tracy

good luck doin that to RIC's it works well on shrooms but not so much the rics

Success is more likely with a Ricordia Fiji or Yuma, than with a Ricordia Florida.

bob

good luck doin that to RIC's it works well on shrooms but not so much the rics

Doug cut four of my rics in half at the frag meeting (granted, all four had two mouths). I gave half of one away, but all seven of mine have healed up and each one has expanded almost to the size of the original.

From now on, any time I see two mouths, I am going to slice away. :)

Tracy

there is a single aiptasia growing out from the middle of a little zoa colony that I have, and I'm wondering if it would be better to take off zoas or kill some by accident when trying to kill the aiptasia. It looks like something is bothering the zoas.... do aiptasia hurt zoas?

there is a single aiptasia growing out from the middle of a little zoa colony that I have, and I'm wondering if it would be better to take off zoas or kill some by accident when trying to kill the aiptasia. It looks like something is bothering the zoas.... do aiptasia hurt zoas?

Yes. Kill it by lethal injection. The zoas will recover.

Tracy,

Here is a pic of how big and beautiful your red mushrooms are.

enjoy and thanks again!

Awesome...I hadn't seen this. Glad they are happy. :)

T

Tracy, was that mushroom rock that was fragged up at the meeting yours? If so, thanks... I have a piece too and those things grow fast... very nice.

I have a question on that aiptasia. Will kalkwasser kill it? I have the Kent powered stuff that I can mix up in extra strength.

Awesome...I hadn't seen this. Glad they are happy. :)

T

How are the ones I gave u doing? It was my first time fragging hopefully they make it...

How are the ones I gave u doing? It was my first time fragging hopefully they make it...

It is doing great. Was touch and go for the first week, but has been growing steadily ever since. I'll try to get a pic, but it's in a weird spot in the nano. It's in the center of the tank, but kind of in a recessed area that is harder to get a good photo.

T

I have a question on that aiptasia. Will kalkwasser kill it? I have the Kent powered stuff that I can mix up in extra strength.

probably... when I have to do Joe's Juice on one that is in a colony of zoa's - I 'touch' all of the zoa's around it to get them to close up. then I zap the aiptasia, and quickly use a turkey baster to move the Joe's Juice out of the area. Otherwise, it can take weeks before the zoa recovers.

bob

probably... when I have to do Joe's Juice on one that is in a colony of zoa's - I 'touch' all of the zoa's around it to get them to close up. then I zap the aiptasia, and quickly use a turkey baster to move the Joe's Juice out of the area. Otherwise, it can take weeks before the zoa recovers.

bob

ah, good tip on getting the zoas to close and the turkey baster! The zoas haven't been opening much the past several days and I'm wondering if it's from the aiptasia bothering it.