Which lighting would you use?

Carl

What would you use on a 75 if you had to choose between the two?

IceCap Ballast 660 with 4 bulbs - FR 48T12/VHO (not sure how many watts this is???)

(All of these would go on and off at the same time each day - one ballast)

or

4 bulbs x 96w Power Compacts.

(Each of the bulbs has it's own ballast, and can turn on/off individually)

Given the 2 options listed, I would say the VHOs would far out perform the PCs. 4 ft VHOs are rated at 110w, I'm not sure if the icecap would truly overdrive them as they do with other lower wattage bulbs. It isn't the watts so much (just another 14 per bulb) but the better color of the VHOs.

That said, you would do even better with 4 t-5s and if you are going the icecap 660-009 rout, it is the same amount of work, just a few $ more for the single bulb reflectors.

4*96w pcs wouldn't be bad either on a 75.

(edited)

That said, you would do even better with 4 t-5s and if you are going the icecap 660-009 rout, it is the same amount of work, just a few $ more for the single bulb reflectors.

I assume then, it is possible to get new harnessing, and change my icecap 660 to work with t-5's?

-Carl

Edited by Carl

T5 is my choice.

To use the IC 660, no new wiring. Just need new waterproof endcaps for T5's and wire them up. With the bulbs make sure to get quality individual reflectors. IceCap make good ones.

The IC 660 will 'overdrive' the T5's. A 65w T5 bulb will be at about 85w. T5 live span is reduced from about 18 months to 12 months, this is not a bad thing in my book for the extra lighting. I have this going on my setup and SPS, LPS, Clams, and softies thrive.

I agree with the T5 choice. However, I would go with VHO for actinic supplementation. You could use an IC660 to overdrive 4 T5 bulbs (I'd go with 2 daylight and 2 blue plus) and get a small workhorse ballast to drive 2 actinic VHOs......like this ballast:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17825

Edited by steveoutlaw

(edited)

Grav, Byron, and others have suggested that I could reuse my ballasts to go t-5 as well.

I guess I'll be going that direction, and getting the new endcaps at BRK next time I'm up that direction.

Thanks for your help GRAV Steve and rioreef

Edited by Carl