New tank for B&W ocellaris

traveller7

Now to get them back on track after moving out of the 300gal.

med_gallery_94_3_1605.jpg

The 3rd wheel Orange and White juvie has not seemed to bother them in the past, we shall see if they get back to breeding in such small quarters.

if they do breed again i'd be interested in offspring!

if they do breed again i'd be interested in offspring!

I am quite sure they will, eventually :>)

This pair tends to get interupted and start back up in 6-12 weeks. They have not been in a container this small before though.

fwiw: I am more focused on rearing the nigripes and chrysogasters this winter. But who knows :)

I am sure you have a long wait list, but I would set up a tank specifically for a pair of Chrysogasters, should you give a newbie WAMAS chick a crack at them. :)

Tracy

Tracy, I am a long long way from having fry available. Maybe by summer if I am lucky. Cheers, Scott

Oh heavens....I am in no rush whatsoever! I've put my name on puppy lists before the breeding was even done....maybe it's just a habit I am carrying over. LOL

Hope the B&Ws enjoy the new digs. :)

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

whats that little controller running, also what are you using for flow?

Filter and skimmer are complements of a Tunze ReefPack 500(125gal size) which is a bit overkill on a 20H, but... :D

fwiw:

- the controller is a Reef Keeper, you can see it under the left board. It is attached to angle iron down there.

- Lighting is a Ushio 70wt 10K in a DIY Regent housing, ballast is IceCap. Two ballasts are hidden under the 20H, see the angle iron?

- The reflectors are hung on closet maid style adjustable racks cut down and drilled to direct attach the reflector

- ATO will be tunze osmolators with the top off hose along base board to my utility room.

I'll post an new shot in a few days, shoehorned in 15gal below it and redid the cable management right ;>)

interested to see more pics once you get everything set up.

Current:

Front and corner view of both:

med_gallery_94_3_105336.jpg med_gallery_94_3_181865.jpg

Individual top then bottom front view:

gallery_94_3_44365.jpg gallery_94_3_65947.jpg

Near term changes coming:

- Nano Reef Pack for the bottom tank

- Add and hide top off tubing for both tanks

- Add Black diffusion grating to both tanks instead of glass/white eggcrate

- Add Moonlights to DIY Regents

- Possible Nano Reef Pack for top

- Possible Nano Streams to both

- Definite clean up of cabling once gear is final (it bugs me to see those wires under the stand a and in the tank :D

why not plumb them into each other and have them operate off the same skimmer?

For this application, quite a few reasons:

1. Tanks are in the back of my home theater, noise is bad.

2. Two distinct anemones species, H. crispa and E. quadricolor, which are not happy mixed in small water volumes.

3. These are breeder tanks and they may require some changes to get the pairs started again. Isolation is more flexible.

4. Simplicity and security :>)

5. Did I mention I want them quiet :D

Looks nice Scott. You should think about stacking a couple 180's with some giant reefpacks ;)

For that application, I need to get off the dime on the Japanese spotlights to dodge the wife barrier :D

Not to mention, I have something a bit more custom in mind for the filtration. Thankfully we have a local manufacturer that is up to the task ;>)

that looks awesome, both tanks are bb?

Thanks and no, both tanks have 1/4 to 1/2" of Seachem Gray Coast sand. It is a steel blue/gray color.

First picture was bb, added the sand later ;>)

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update:

Both pairs laid the first clutch last weekend, both are hatching tonight or tomorrow lastest. Don't have or want any Rots but it nice to see both pairs back in the groove so quickly.

Of course, they are ignoring the tiles in the tanks completely, but what the heck...getting closer ;>)

Side note: The gasters in the TOTM tank had their clutch hatch 2 nights ago, wouldn't be nice if I can get them all synched someday to actually make it easier to raise them?

Hey Scott, congratulations on success! If ever they lay some eggs and you don't care to try and raise them, I wouldn't mind trying to see if they can feed off of the gazillions of pods that are swimming around in one of my sump systems. You can actually see the water swarming if you look with some light.

Hey Scott, congratulations on success! If ever they lay some eggs and you don't care to try and raise them, I wouldn't mind trying to see if they can feed off of the gazillions of pods that are swimming around in one of my sump systems. You can actually see the water swarming if you look with some light.

Hehe, the ocellaris hatch around 1am, the nigripes hatch around 3 am...you wont catch me up scooping them out of the tank :>) If I get them to lay eggs on a tile, it opens up a world of options.

fwiw: they really need rotifer sized meals for the first 7ish days post hatch. Fresh pod hatches may be okay for days 8-14ish. It would be one of those things that the smallest and the largest would need alternatives thoughout the process.

fwiw2: the idea killer: the change in water would likely lead to 100% mortality.

The 3rd wheel Orange and White juvie has not seemed to bother them in the past, we shall see if they get back to breeding in such small quarters.

btw: The third wheel ocellaris had to come out right before the B&W's laid eggs, the male was mercilous. The old ocellaris has recovered and is living solo atm.

• 1 month later...

I think my maroon cluch will hatch tonight. Have them in a seperate tank, 5gal bucket of rots ready to go.

I hatched a "test" cluch in Dec pulled the eggs away from dad too soon and had a poor hatch rate, but kept most of those alive for 10 days before leaving for the holidays.