Anemone help, please?

FishWife

Hi all,

We have ordered a rose bubble tip anemone from bluezoo that comes Tuesday morning. We have a couple of questions for those with experience. Ours is a 80g bowfront:

gallery_2631270_258_18836.jpg

A lovely six bulb, T-5 array fixture (thanks, Jason, pics soon!) hangs 5" above the tank, which is itself 23" deep. (The picture above was taken WITHOUT those lights on, so don't be fooled.)

We want to put the bubbletip in the right place, light wise, so we think to put in center, right, about halfway deep in the tank, on the rocks you see pictured (on the rock right in front of and between the greenest and purplest ones on the right).

Questions:

1. How high should our first placement be? Like... given our setup, is this half-way down the tank point about right?

2. How much will it be able to move to find its happy spot? Can it go pretty much anywhere it wants, climbing up and down the rocks, or is it important to try to get it pretty much right where it belongs right away?

Edited by FishWife

Its pretty much a guarantee that wherever you place the anemone, it won't last long there. It'll move around until it finds a place that it likes.

How long has this tank been setup? Is this the tank you were just having problems with?

Place it dead center, mid rock pile, under an overhang. If it attaches there, it should extend out to light and stay put.

Please make sure the power head intakes are covered with foam, heaters are in the sump or overflows, etc.

Good luck.

Put it where you like it to be.... it will move if it does not like the location. If you have fish in the tank, please have a moon light on so they dont get eaten when they run into it.

Marica, when I added my GBTA to my tank, I put it a place that had a fairly decent crevice with medium/low flow and it moved right away. I adjusted the powerhead so it wasn't blowing as strong against that area of rockwork and it has settled into that spot for over 6 months now. It occasionally will pull into itself insinde the crevice, but for the most part it has stayed quite happy.

Thanks all!

We have one clownfish, so will do with moonlights....

The flow thing is interesting, thanks for the tip.

'Scuse my total ignorance, but how do they move? Like a snail, with a foot?

What else do you have in there in regards to fish?? I would hold off on adding too many fish until the DSB is cultivated with bacteria. I think you'll be fine adding the anemone to such a new tank since you started with established liverock, but remember you're not getting any filtration from that DSB yet. The DSB provides quite a bit of filtration when established, so just go slow with adding livestock is all I'm saying.

The aquascaping looks good by the way.

What else do you have in there in regards to fish?? I would hold off on adding too many fish until the DSB is cultivated with bacteria. I think you'll be fine adding the anemone to such a new tank since you started with established liverock, but remember you're not getting any filtration from that DSB yet. The DSB provides quite a bit of filtration when established, so just go slow with adding livestock is all I'm saying.

The aquascaping looks good by the way.

right; we're in the "fish of the month" club... so, this is our fish for the next month, and we may wait longer. We fell for a pretty face and got a really sweet, small (1.5" big tops) maroon clown. We have spent a lot of money setting up (duh, I know... but we didn't budget for all of it) so we're not planning on adding *any* fish after the BTA for at least a month or two. :clap:

(Thanks about aquascaping: we tried for three goals: minimal contact w/sand, open for water flow, and a series of ledges and platforms about halfway up the tank that also provided "shade" for those corals which like a little less light. We'll see!)

OH! While I'm on livestock: we bought three peppermint shrimps to eat aiptasias (which they didn't) and can see NO sign of them. I know they're nocturnal, but... do most of you find that they're virtually invisible after a day or two in the tank? If not, we scratching our heads as to what could have happened to them. :why:

Any ideas?

I usually only see my peppermints when I feed the tank. I can sometimes see them hiding behind some of the rocks too.

Good to hear you're taking it slow and easy. I wished I had done the same when first starting up. It would've saved me a ton of money, not to mention alot of livestock their lives :(

Your tank should be established enough to get a few softy frags at the Fall meeting though. I got 13 free frags at last years meeting. Its definitely worth going to. Hopefully we'll see you there.

(edited)

Well... I'm wondering if they've gone over our/through the openings of our weir/overflow box... our water level has been high as we've been adjusting our tank levels... so within 1/4 to 1/2" of the top of the overflow box... like, down into the sump/fuge? There's nothing in there to eat them.

Our aquascaping is open enough that I think I could see them if they were there... I could for a couple of days, but not, nada.... :(

James: good idea.

Do mushrooms/zoanthids do alright with softies like hammerheads and frogspawn? Obviously, we have lots of room right now... but am planning for the future. We will definitely (God-willing) be at the meeting. Looking forward to it!

Edited by FishWife

Dollars to donuts their hiding in the rockwork. I didn't see my Peppermint Shrimp for a week after putting them in my tank. I thought they had died, actually. But everyday, there I was, looking over the tank with a flashlight peering into this corner and that crevice... one day, I came across some long antennae deep into a hollow between a couple of rocks, low on the sandbed. And there they were, happy and healthy.

I have to guess that yours are doing the same. That's my guess at least (though I've not been doing this much longer than you).

My peps hide too. Often they are hanging upside down under rocks. Try dropping in some sinking food, like pellets....target little cave areas. Ten to one you'll see at least one of them come out and grab for the pellets.

Very different from the extremely outgoing cleaner shrimp!!

Tracy

Do mushrooms/zoanthids do alright with softies like hammerheads and frogspawn? Obviously, we have lots of room right now... but am planning for the future. We will definitely (God-willing) be at the meeting. Looking forward to it!

mushrooms, zoas and other softies are all fine with virtually any lps. some people recommend against mixing leathers with sps due to the waste they produce.

Well, just to laugh at myself: you're all right.

No, I didn't go on a flashlight safari, but seemingly just to reassure me, this morning when I woke up, on the topmost, front rock of my tank, I found a present: my largest pep shrimp had moulted, and his "birthday suit" was left in plain view. :clap:

Tomorrow is bubble tip day.

Yeah, basically they scoot along with their foot. Once you get it you'll see that it has a foot which is at the end of a column. They can actually move at a pretty good pace when motivated.

I find that they can also simply let go and "go with the flow" (no puin intended) landing and attaching where ever.