Missing fish - what's the longest until they've shown themselves?

Sugar Magnolia

Wow! What a shock! I bought a green clown goby on July 6th http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...p;hl=clown+goby and by the next day he was gone. I looked for a few weeks and figured he/she had died and was consumed by my clean up crew. Last week I saw a flash of something unfamiliar when feeding the tank and figured it may have been my Fridmani dottyback, very shy, darting behind the rockwork, but the color was wrong. I know some fish change color, but this was just not right. A bright magenta fish just doesn't turn a dusky color.

Today I was feeding my tank some mysis and there on the top of my rockwork sat that green clown goby, doubled in size and just as skittish as the dottyback, next thing I new it dashed behind the rocks. Mind you, this is only a 30 gallon tank. How hard is it to find something, right? I have 3 large pieces of Marshall Island rock and one large Fiji rock. The Marshall Island rock has a bunch of hidey holes that the goby has made good use of for the past few months.

Now I know why my clown has been seriously intent on the rockwork on the left side of the tank!

While its not a fish, I lost a tiger cowrie for over a year. When I was tearing down the tank, I found him in the rockwork, alive and well.

Tiger cowries are NOT small! :)

So there's hope for my queen conch, eh? Haven't seen her in two months. Or her empty shell.

bob

I found my prawn goby well, happy and grown after not seeing him for 6 month!

The same here - I was tearing down the tank (40 gal hex)and there he was! Grew from 1/4" to a whole inch too!

I couldn't find my clown goby for about the first week. It now perches nicely in the front of the rockwork so I can almost always find him. Very cute little fish. :fish:

You could always try this ---> :scuba:

I had a tiny greenbanded goby disappear one night about 5 years ago. I'm still waiting.

:lol2:

My Firefish was missing for about 3 weeks, back again!

My Purple Firefish was missing for about a month after my Ich Breakout, showed up one day, not looking well but moving. Gone again, this time I fear the worst!

Had Black Brittle Starfish that I had in a 30g tank. One day, saw it with just STUMPS for arms, not more than 1/4" each on the bottom of a rock. Sold tank one and kept a couple of LR. Started 75g tank for about a year, then moved and when setting up the rocks, this FULL SIZE Black Brittle Starfish came out! Was too cool!

:gho:

There seems to be a distinct goby trend when it comes to fish who like to hide out for months at a time. I'm dealing with it now...a black clown in my nano, and the most I've seen of him is his tail (when I search for 1/2 hour to spot him...in a 12G! LOL)

I think he will be my last goby (with the exception of the neons....they seem to be perky and active and *visible*! :))

Tracy

I agree Tracy. I had a yellow watchman that would hde out for a few weeks, the longest was two months. i also have ayasha haze goby in this tank, moved frm my 2.5 gallon, but it usually only stays hidden for a couple of days. I also have a conch that was gone for a couple of months. It just showed up again a few weeks ago.

Howard, that is so cool about the starfish!

I hadn't seen my 6 line wrasse for just over 2 months so I figured for shore it was history. Just today I was looking at my overflow from the back side of my tank and I saw something dart away from the light. When I went closer to investigate, guess who it was? Now I have to figure how to catch him from there.

I hadn't seen my 6 line wrasse for just over 2 months so I figured for shore it was history. Just today I was looking at my overflow from the back side of my tank and I saw something dart away from the light. When I went closer to investigate, guess who it was? Now I have to figure how to catch him from there.

I got my 6-line out of the overflow with a regular fish net. Just have to be patient.

bob

When I moved out of my condo earlier this year, I saw a purple firefish whom I hadn't seen in five years.

I had torn down the aquarium four years earlier and used the stand as a bookcase.

Granted, he was rather shriveled and very crispy......but still purple.

-R