My crab killed my snails

Tee

I caught my Hermit crab ate my snail on tape.

My tank is just 7 months old along with 10 snails I bought from Petland. I saw about 6 left, and finally found out why. darn my murderer Crab.

Tee

gallery_1614_257_49115.jpg

:why:

Edited by Tee

gallery_1614_257_36796.jpg

I caught my Hermit crab ate my snail on tape. :(

My tank is just 7 months old along with 10 snails I bought from Petland. I saw about 6 left, and finally found out why. darn my murderer Crab.

Tee

My emerald crab is in the sump for this violation of citizenship. I have a hermit that is in there because he just fought constantly with all of the other hermits. They better hope the mantis shrimp doesn't grow up and eat them.

bob

My emerald crab is in the sump for this violation of citizenship. I have a hermit that is in there because he just fought constantly with all of the other hermits. They better hope the mantis shrimp doesn't grow up and eat them.

bob

I thought emerald crabs don't kill snails.... or does that go with the fairy tale that they don't bother corals?

Welcome to the REAL World Tee, Bambi doesn't live in your tanks!

Snails, particular the Nassarius Snails are the rabbits of the under world, EVERYTHING eats them!

IMO

For cleaning your tank, the Bluelegs, Redlegs and Redtipped Leg Dwarf Hermit Crabs are the best in that order, but also the most aggressive!! Never fails when you have the first 2 in your tank that you add a periodic order of new Nassarius that in a few days, ALL the Blue & Redlegs are running around with NEW Snail Shells!!

:)

That's why for my $, I only put Redtipped Leg Hermits in my tank from Mexican Waters and Blue Neon Striped Hermits!

Both clean great my not the same level of agressiveness!!

Snails, particular the Nassarius Snails are the rabbits of the under world, EVERYTHING eats them!

IMO

For cleaning your tank, the Bluelegs, Redlegs and Redtipped Leg Dwarf Hermit Crabs are the best in that order, but also the most aggressive!! Never fails when you have the first 2 in your tank that you add a periodic order of new Nassarius that in a few days, ALL the Blue & Redlegs are running around with NEW Snail Shells!!

That's why for my $, I only put Redtipped Leg Hermits in my tank from Mexican Waters and Blue Neon Striped Hermits!

is blue neon stripe the same as electric blue? I thought those were supposed to be very aggressive, as opposed to just blue leg.

Howard - which of those are also known as scarlet reef hermits? I've had the same 7 since I started my tank one year ago this month, and only one is now wearing a snail shell. They are very good at picking junk out of the holes in LR, I wouldn't have a tank without them.

Good point that snails in nature are food.

jp

Edited by bigJPDC

This is why my tank is crab-free!

Even so, I had a murderer snail (welk) hitchhiker I had to dispatch. No plan is perfect. LOL

Tracy

This is why I buy a lot of snails :) I like watching my crabs hunt them.

I know others don't like them (and all the arguments I've heard as to why they don't like them I think are silly), but I like buying the super cheap ones on ebay (100 for $10 or some such)

They clean the tank, feed the hermits, and are super cheap.

tim

the hermits may just be caught at the scene of the crime too, disposing of the dead snail or fish is a vital role in the tank.

This is why I buy a lot of snails :) I like watching my crabs hunt them.

I know others don't like them (and all the arguments I've heard as to why they don't like them I think are silly), but I like buying the super cheap ones on ebay (100 for $10 or some such)

They clean the tank, feed the hermits, and are super cheap.

tim

you funny tim.......

from my exp. snails are usually ate when crabs sense they are unhealthy and or dieing.....i have never seen one of my craBS actually go up to one of my snails and pluck them off the glass or rock...but they do get them when they land wrong side up and cant turn over.....nerites are less likely to get murdered since they have such small shells which hermits dont look for when upgrading to larger shells.

Bryan

Yeah, this is my first saltwater tank, so I have a lot to learn from you guy. I would get small blue leg crabs from now. This crab is donated to me by a guy who said that this crab was too big for his nano tank. The crab knock out his small rock and coral. It might of kill some of his snails too :wig:

Tee

---------------------

IMO

darn my [/s]murderer omnivorous Crab.

Crabs don't make their own shells. Snails do. It's a match made in heaven, if you're a crab. Lunch and an upgrade all at the same time.

I went crab free in my main tank when I did my interceptor treatment back in Jan/Feb. The snails do a fine job of keeping things clean if you have enough of them but aren't as cool to watch IMO.

I have questions about hermits and snail shells.

Will a hermit take any type of shell of the right size?

Will a hermit kill snails of a type whose shell they don't usually use?

Should I be expecting my hermits to make use of all the empty astrea shells in my tank, or should I be going out and buying shells from somewhere (where)?