DIY ATO

YBeNormal

Here's a very abbreviated DIY thread for a DIY ATO. This unit has redundant float switches for the sump, another float switch to be placed in the top off reservoir as a low level cutoff, LED lights to show when the unit is powered, the pump is running and when the reservoir is low.

Start with a large workspace, lots o' wires, relays, LEDs and assorted gadgets

DSCN5618.jpg

Try not to get confused as you wire everything together (It's really not as bad as it looks!)

DSCN5621.jpg

Here's the Master of Disaster (a.k.a. jnguyen4700)

DSCN5622.jpg

Smile for the camera!

DSCN5624.jpg

And end up with this

DSCN5625.jpg

DSCN5626.jpg

DSCN5632.jpg

If you feel like trying this yourself, heres a link to a discussion and plans for several versions of this ATO. The one we built is modeled after the third graphic on the second page of the thread. We substituted a few parts and added an on/off switch to the design when we built this one.

Pretty cool. It's about time somebody took the ATO to this level. I wonder when they'll start showing up on ebay now? That diagram fits perfectly on a single page when printed out, and the colors make the connections very obvious.

thanks YB!

jp

I built one of these a couple of years ago and it has been running since then with no problems (other than me accidentally slicing through the float valve wires). I needed a 12v supply to run a couple of 4" IceCap fans this summer and I was able to slave power off of the ATO unit for this as well. I now have a single wall wart powering the ATO and two fans.

If you take the "spare no expense" route, the total cost for parts can be pretty close to the cost of a brand new JBJ ATO. Hardwire everything directly to the relays instead of using plug-in connectors (e.g. DC jack) and you can cut the cost down considerably. IMO, the main reasons to build this kit rather than purchase a ready-made ATO is that it is fun to do; it can be customized to fit your needs; and you will be able to repair it if any part ever breaks or wears out.

I have to Thank Bob for helping me with this. Bob helped me made sense of the wiring from the diagram and such. The last time I worked on anything similar to this was back in 8th grade. With Bob assisting me, working on the ATO made me felt like a kid again. I had a lot of fun doing it.

James

Parts list and costs are listed on the first page of the RC thread I linked to above. Cost can be much cheaper to much higher though depending on the options and parts you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in on a group build!

I can supply tools, garage, and workbench to do the work...but not the knowledge to order the parts, or guarantee it would work.

-Carl