Substrate choices

EBR

The contestants:

207_0787.jpg

Crushed Coral (left) is NOT in the running -- I show it here for size comparison.

Anyway, I have a 5g bucket full of the middle substrate, which is nice, and I happened to have one bag of the Aragalive sand on the right. After putting them both in, I think I like the Aragonite-size better, but I'd have to buy about five bags ($100 bucks or so?). On the other hand, I already have a bucket of the other, slightly larger grain substrate and it won't cost me another nickel.

The crushed coral in the 55g was such a nightmare, and I really don't want to deal with such a poop-trap again. So what do you think?

1. will the middle sample be a problem like the CC?

2. will a mix of the middle and right samples prove to work as well as just the right one by itself?

Planned critteres include gobies, stars (I think), nasarius snails (sp?), and any other good sand-sifters.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

Bioload will be about the same with all with the smaller pieces providing more surface area for bacteria to grow, etc. I believe it just comes down to personal preference!

IMO, I like the small sizes but will compact more especially if you have alot of sponges which can cake it more so down the road!

One tip, once it's in your tank, DON'T DISTURB IT manually, let your critters do that slowly so as not to cause a Nitrate Bomb. :)

Mix what you have with some good quality argonite

not expert but I used and like the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand: 1 - 1.7mm diameter grain size. mix what you have and it should give you a nice look and keep the cost down a little. use the savings for beer :-)

not expert but I used and like the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand: 1 - 1.7mm diameter grain size. mix what you have and it should give you a nice look and keep the cost down a little. use the savings for beer :-)

now there's a plan

I really do like the way you think, my friend :-) And actually, the stuff on the right is the CaribSea you mention -- I think you guys answered it for me -- that a mix would be OK.

And Howard -- thanks for the tip on the Nit bomb. I think I suffered that some time ago with the 55g (that had the crushed coral) -- never again with that stuff -- Yuck!

Thanks again.

Matt

Been using a combination of mixes that equal the Special grade reef sand since about 1988-89.

When I moved 9 years ago, I added several more of the above bags to the existing bed to bring it back to 3-4" depth.

To maintain a long term sand bed you need to have strong flow throughout the tank and even more so at the surface. I also gently stir my reachable sand on a routine bases to prevent lock up and prevent the so called "bomb" Howard is talking about.

But then again, I see I've apparrently now reached the "full of hot air" posting stage.

hope who ever enjoys it

The stuff on the right which you have labeled "aragonite" is the seaflor reef sand? What is the stuff in the middle?

When I set up the DSB in my fuge I did a little experiment. I used mostly a mix of oolitic and seaflor, but right along the front glass where I could see it I put clearly delineated sections of CC (small section), just oolitic, and just seaflor. FWIW, the number of visible worm tracks is inversely proportional to the size of the substrate. In other words, the sugar fine stuff has the most, with the seaflor a close 2nd, and the CC next to nothing.

My display is 4-6" of a mix oolitic and seaflor, and I have been very happy with the health and performance of the sandbed. I put a lot of nassarius in my system so I don't worry about things getting compacted.

But then again, I see I've apparrently now reached the "full of hot air" posting stage.

hope who ever enjoys it

Yeah, with a mere 15 years or so of experience and phenomenal success, what do you know? :cheers:

It may not be that the larger grade or mixed grade beds don't have the activity as it might be you can't see the trails because they can simply travel through.

I've never been a big fan of the sugar sized substrates since I don't feel they "breath" as well as mixed grade.

I can tell you the critter content can certainly be there with both.

With enough current, harder with the smaller grade sand, you susspend the particulate and allow it to settle out in the sump. A properly baffled sump will not only disperse bubbles, but more importantly allow for and encourage settlement of detritus as well. It can then be easily vaccuumed off weekly during water exchanges.

Just to be clear, the stuff on the right is this:

207_0790.jpg

The stuff in the middle is what I got from someone about a year ago when they moved out of the area and broke down their tank (so I'm not sure what it's official name is).

Also, I do not plan to have too much substrate either -- not right away, at least. Certainly enough to cover the bottom nicely, but not a DSB. I'm just still gun-shy from my CC debackle and want to keep the poop trap to a minimum, and plan to have the critters do the stirring work for me :-)

Matt

No need to pay the extra money to get that "live" stuff. BRK has 40lb bags of the same sand for $33, its just dry. Simply add a cup full of live sand from someone elses tank to seed your DSB and you'll be fine.

No need to pay the extra money to get that "live" stuff. BRK has 40lb bags of the same sand for $33, its just dry. Simply add a cup full of live sand from someone elses tank to seed your DSB and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I agree with the "live" moniker -- no need for it. That particular bag was one that I got from someone second-hand (unopened, ind you) for around $20 bucks -- in 2005 ;-) I do need to see BRK for myself soon, but it's just a long haul for me.

Anyway, thanks.

Matt

Not unless they got some more in......I cleaned them out last weekend!! :biggrin: