FOWLR to reef conversion questions

rdavidw

I recently joined WAMAS and am learning that there have been a few advancements in the last decade. It looks as though my current set-up is an ideal nitrate factory. My plan is to dump my wet/dry and both my canister filters and add a sump refugium and a closed loop.

I have had a salt water tank since 1989 and set up my 150 glass (72 x 18 x 29) in 1994 but have no idea what I am doing. I had aggressive fish only till about three years ago when the tank cracked. I started over with reef safe fish, inverts, a few mushrooms and a new wife. Here is my current set up:

I have glued an overflow in a corner and have a siphon box on the back with four 3/4

Sweet jesus this is a detailed tank synopsis. Just take it easy and make it a slow transition.

The UV there's plenty of debate on that. The flow rate is going to be based on what you are trying to accomplish with it.

As for light on the fuge, the amount of light you have is fine. You can either do a reverse lighting cycle or run it 24/7 either way it will help keep your ph stable.

Rinse the sand until there is no dust, again the depth depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to create a deep sand bed go with at least 6 inches if not more. seed the bed with a cup of LS from another members tank, just ask and some one will help you out.

I love the aquascaping.

Edited by jason the filter freak

I had aggressive fish only till about three years ago when the tank cracked. I started over with reef safe fish, inverts, a few mushrooms and a new wife.

Wow! Talk about an upgrade. Most of us just get a bigger tank. :biggrin:

1st: Welcome to the club. Here's my take on your questions:

Refugium questions:

1. Flow - I was going to run my old mag-7 in-line to the main tank but may want to upgrade. Should I try to get more then 600 gpm through the refugium? I would guess my DIY overflow could handle about 750-800 as it is now. About

Welcome to WAMAS Dave! Before throwing in my suggestions for your tank, let me offer two pieces of advice:

(1) Add your location to your profile so folks will know where you live. You might find that some of the more experienced reefers live very close to you and would be willing to drop by to review your setup in person and discuss options with you. Warning: Personal services like this might cost you a beer or two!

(2) Feed the cat! It looks like he's very interested in the tang! ;)

From personal experiences, I'd say your biggest issues contributing to the elevated nitrates other than the canister filters, wet/dry and lack of water changes is the crushed coral substrate and limited flow within the tank. Crushed coral allows a lot of waste to settled and decompose within the tank. Eliminating that and increasing flow within the tank will help keep things suspended in the water calumn so they can be skimmed away. A sand or aragonite substrate will also make it easier for the cleaner crew to do their jobs. You will either want to go bare bottom (tried it, not my style), just enough substrate to cover the bottom or a deep sand bed of at least 4" or 5". Personally I'd go with a thin layer of sand in the tank and a deep sand bed in the refugium.

Refugium questions:

1. Flow - I was going to run my old mag-7 in-line to the main tank but may want to upgrade. Should I try to get more then 600 gpm through the refugium? I would guess my DIY overflow could handle about 750-800 as it is now. About

Edited by YBeNormal

welcome egg head!

only thing I would add to these good responses is that flow can also depend on what corals you may want to have. with pc lighting, I am guessing mostly lps or soft coral. 10 x with no dead spots I would say OK.

Ah yes, I meant to mention that SPS and other corals may require higher flows. That's the beauty of posting in open forums--more people to jump in with corrections or additions.

You have a WAMAS nickname already? Man, we're really rolling out the welcome for this guy. Few people get that honor! ;)

I started over with reef safe fish, inverts, a few mushrooms and a new wife.

Did the new wife sign the full-disclosure agreement and acknowledge that she was marrying a reefer, and that means in sickness or in health, for better OR wetter...... ??

Welcome to WAMAS!

bob

Welcome to the club. My advice when setting up a tank or converting, if at all possible, go slow. Don't rush the addition of fish and coral.

Invite members in the club that are in your area over to your house to see the system and get their advice.

I started over with reef safe fish, inverts, a few mushrooms and a new wife.

Did the new wife sign the full-disclosure agreement and acknowledge that she was marrying a reefer, and that means in sickness or in health, for better OR wetter...... ??

Welcome to WAMAS!

bob

or wetter... or, how about that torn up wall for the fish room, lonely nights she has to spend while you watch over a sick fish, lack of roses on the anniversary because you just had to have that coral, ruining of the blender to make tank food.....